Green screen abilities

I'm interested in using the green screen technology for a project that I'm working on. I'm not very techy, so excuse my lack of terminology. I understand that the green screen takes the video that you are shooting and imposes it onto a background to make it look like you are in another location, like underwater or something. But, is there a way to make it look like you are simply looking thru the water at the people that you are filming? As if you were looking thru a fish tank, seeing all the fish, but your friend was standing on the opposite side of the tank and you could see them too. Any help with this is GREATLY appreciated. Please feel free to email me at [email protected] Thank you.

-Jeff

Comments

• SteveKarstensen
    SteveKarstensen Posts: 330 Just Starting Out*

Green screen's a bit more than just imposing video on a background.  Basically, any part of your video that matches the solid color (green or blue, usually) is "punched out", or made transparent.  Any video or images that are on a layer below the green-screened video layer will show through.

There's a couple of ways to achieve the effect you seem to be going for.  If you want to focus the camera at your friend but you want the fish tank in the way, then put your friend on the rearmost layer, then put the fish tank on the layer in front of that, then either change the blend mode of the tank's layer ("screen" is usually a good starting point) so that your friend shows through, or adjust the opacity of the tank layer.

You could also put your friend in front of the tank and change the blend mode of your friend's footage for a similar effect.

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Posts: 3,580 Ambassador

@harp327 Hi, SteveKarstensen's way would work, you just have to fake it by having your person stand far back from you tank to make it look like they are the right size. Or you could take footage of you actor/ress against a green screen then bring this foot age into your composite shot, key out the green then ADD the result to your tank. No if you make sure your layers are the right way around for the tank over the person it should make the fish swim infront of the actor. But they may not look right in shot, so you might have to put another layer over the top to add something like ribbple or blur to make them look inside the tank.

Good luck

• SteveKarstensen

"you just have to fake it by having your person stand far back from you tank to make it look like they are the right size. "

or you could just scale the layer. 

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,466 Enthusiast
    edited December 2015

@SteveKarstensen

"or you could just"

Stop stealing lines from AxelWilkinson ! :)

• SteveKarstensen

but... but... he's my hero...