Light flicker with 3D Models (Resolved)

GrayMotion
GrayMotion Posts: 1,598 Enthusiast
edited November 2015 in HitFilm

Well I went ahead and upgraded to HF Pro 4 and went straight at rendering a 3D model with the new ambient options available with the lighting.

My results are less than spectacular. I set up a model and made a simple camera move. The model is stationary. What I'm getting is a ton of flicker.

https://youtu.be/bcQYHQxKIl0

Comments

• GrayMotion
    edited November 2015

Sorry..I can't edit post above

Model settings...

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,059 Ambassador

I've had that issue occasionally going back to Hitfilm 2. Every time, taking the model into a 3D program has revealed flaws in the model geometry causing the issue. Is this a free Turbosquid model? 

• GrayMotion
    edited November 2015

It is...and I thought that geometry might be at play here.

Thanks

• GrayMotion
    edited November 2015

Ah..here we go..

On this particular model I went into the advanced tab of the model and flipped normals, auto-smoothing at 80. Surface flicker went away.

I should have fiddle more b4 I posted :-)

https://youtu.be/2jW09htnL6c

There is still a tad of flicker and as you said..geometry.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,059 Ambassador
    edited November 2015

If you're literate in any 3D modelling software take a look at what's going on. There might be intersecting or co-planar polys, or something long and thin that needs to be broken up a bit. You might be able to fix it. Sometimes even just loading in the model (lets say it's LWO) and exporting as a different format (OBJ) can help. 

Well, ok, in this case flipping normals and smoothing fixed it, but, future reference. 

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,421 Ambassador

Yeah, 3rd party models have often been translated from different formats several times and that can introduce inconsistencies in the geometry.   The flashing you may be seeing now (e.g. the solar panels on the Soyuz) might be co-planar polys.  In other words, if there are duplicate polygons one on top of another, the system can't decide which one to render, hence the flashing.

The only resolution in that case is to import the model into a bonafide 3D program and clean up inconsistencies.   HF is awesome, but it isn't very forgiving of geometry problems.

• GrayMotion

Actually flipping the norms was(is) a cheap hack and works only so so. I do have some Blender skills and take your advice into my Future Reference folder. Thanks

In the meantime I'll stick to known high quality models. I'll work with Jetstrike and Metropolitan, since I own them, for awhile until I'm comfortable with what I think I know :-)

• WillBellJr
    WillBellJr Posts: 30 Enthusiast

I agree with Stargazer54 - it's very rare you can take a "store bought" 3d model, especially off turbosquid and NOT have issues with geometry that needs to be cleaned up in your modeling app.

It's okay to buy inexpensive models if you go in knowing that you'll need to clean them up using the model as a "starting point" and reworking the existing polygons OR performing retopo over them creating your own clean topology.

If you simply want to import / texture and render a model without hassle, always make sure the model includes UVs, and where possible, vertex normals  (so they render smooth and without ugly facets.)

-Will

This discussion has been closed.