Should I buy HF4?

KoDutyKoDuty Website User Posts: 111

I want to buy HF4 so much. But I'm affraid if I buy HF4 this year, and if HF5 will be released next year, I will reget so much :(

I'm affraid that cuz Hitfilm release new version so fast and the newer is much more advanced than then elder 

Comments

• UbiUbi Website User Posts: 85
    edited December 2015

Well, the question is: do you need HF4 features? Do you need them now?

I know, HF5 will be better for sure, but it doesn't exist yet so if you need something now to save the day...

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,319 Ambassador
    edited November 2015

Also, in terms of computers and software, there's ALWAYS something better next year. I just bought a new computer. In February the new Nvidia GPU's come out and my top-of-the-range computer today becomes last year's leftovers. 

If you do a lot with 3D models, particles or a lot of speed changes, HF4's new features will help you a lot. If you don't, you can wait a year. 

Bear in mimd, buying a new Hitfilm upgrade every year is still cheaper than rwnting After Effects. 

• KoDutyKoDuty Website User Posts: 111

I loving doing with 3D models and particles. When will HF5 be released? If it will come next year so I will wait

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,319 Ambassador
    edited December 2015

Hitfilm 5 will come out next year, but, if you do a lot of model or particle effects you should upgrade now 

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5626/22722610869_84885e60d0_h.jpg

The statue on the left is rendered in Hitfilm 3. It has a diffuse texture and specular highlights adjusted to get the look of polished granite.

The statue on the right is the same statue and lights in HF4. A bump map has been added and the new physical shader adjusted to get the look of rough, pitted stone. Bump and normal maps, physical shading, GI reflections and refractions have all been added to Hitfilm 4. This statue shot doesn't even start to show off all the new model render features of Hitfilm 3, but that statue on the right is impossible to do in Hitfilm 3.

So, yeah, if you do a lot with 3D models, this is your update.  

OMG amazing! This version makes 3D Models look more realistic!

Will the price of upgrading from HF4 to HF5 be cheaper than I buy HF4 then buy HF5?

I don't know! The Hitfilm store doesn't list an upgrade price from Hitfilm 2 Ultimate to Hitfilm 4 Pro, only upgrades from Pro 3.

I tag @KristieT on this. She should have an answer. It's the weekend, so she might not see this until she's back in the office. 

Now, I suspect upgrading to Hitfilm 4 and then upgrading to (future) 5 might be more expensive than skipping a generation, but I really don't know. 

For Hitfilm 4 Pro I really do recommend this upgrade for people who do a lot with 3D models (because of the new shader/maps), text and title design (because the bundled Boris unit does things Hitfilm Pro 3's text tools can't),  or mograph (because the new Bezier keys allows building animation curves you can't do in 3 Pro). For other users, they might not need 4 Pro.

For example there's a lot of users using Hitfilm to edit gaming screen captures. For these users, Hitfilm 3 Express is fine. Stick with the free version! I do a lot of 3D model animation and mograph/titles, so, for me, Pro 4 is super exciting and a worthwhile upgrade! 

• chibichibi Website User Posts: 257 Just Starting Out

"a lot of speed changes"

Did they change the way you speed up clips like Vegas?
    How about crossfades?

Not certain about fades. Hitfilm 4 has a new, Vegas-like, Rate Stretch tool, however. 

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,952 Enthusiast
    edited December 2015
    •  "I'm affraid that cuz Hitfilm release new version so fast and the newer is much more advanced than then elder"

By that circular reasoning you will never buy a new version. Hitfilm is on an annual new version update schedule so it will be a year before HF5 comes out.

Like others have stated. Does HF4 have new features you can use and worthwhile for the money spent?

HF4 seems like a reverlution! But newer version of Hitfilm has the same price but has too many new amazing fuctions 

But I think I'll buy HF4 in new year!

• WillBellJrWillBellJr Website User Posts: 29 Just Starting Out

Don't wait to by HF - if you want it, GET IT! Personally I never deny myself anything - I always tell myself I deserve it.  If I can afford it, I buy it - if I can't I don't.

That whole year while everyone else is using HF, and learning it, you'll be sitting on the sidelines watching and wishing.

I was surprised when I saw HF 4 released myself, it had felt like I had "just recently" upgraded to HF3 - I checked my emails and sure enough, it was November 2014 when I upgraded to HF3, so yes, it appears FXHome is on a 12-month development cycle.

What you can do is divide that upgrade cost by 12 and put that money aside every month, this way when v5 comes around, it won't be such a big-dip out of your pocket.

Good luck and enjoy!

-Will

Vegas-like, Rate Stretch tool, however. 

Yep I think improvements like this in the video editor will temp me to upgrade. :D
    With vegas being eol'ed hf should copy more of its editing features.

WillBellJr: I'll learn HF4 using Demo version. And yeah I will buy HF4 when  I finish all my semester exams. I was surprised when I saw HF 4 released too 

chibi: wow very cool this new feture will make my work a lot faster!

Yeah I hope they copy the way fades are easily done in vegas really soon. That's instant upgrade for me.

• "Yeah I hope they copy the way fades are easily done in vegas really soon."

I doubt that will ever happen. The Vegas mechanism is fundamentally different in UI design. Hitfilm operates in the style FxHome likes.

• theKPtheKP Website User Posts: 12

I just bought it and i'm already having problems just resizing my display. I would wait for the fixes...

edited November 2015

Arguably true. However, right now is probably the best upgrade price FxHome will offer. One can still use HF3 in the meantime, and we've already had one bugfix update. Simon Jones has already stated that part of the HF4 cycle is to pump out any bugfix builds ASAP, rather than waiting for the 6-week cycle of Pro 3, so I would expect another update soon. 

• mjv43512mjv43512 Website User Posts: 3
    edited December 2015

I'm fairly new to film making and like others before me i agonized over buying HF3 for the past year, although i did try out other lessor programs and came back to hitfilm3 and finally purchased it in mid october and in doing so it qualified me to get a free upgrade to HF4( lucky me, i was gonna get it back in August) now i'll be setting money aside every month for future upgrades :)  all  apart of being film makers is learning to budget for things we need to make our dreams come to life :) 

NormanPCN

How so? Its just lines of code. They can make it so that when you drag a portion of a clip to another clip a fade is automatically created. That was fast in vegas and easier to adjust. Right now its just cutting of the clip but I don't see why its impossible to implement a fade when you overlay a clip on to another.

The devs and the in house testers just need to try other software like vegas, etc, to see what they can copy from them to make hf better.

Side note. Interesting how many users on this forum who say they are trying to leave Vegas want Hitfilm to be more like Vegas. 

That said, the Vegas and Hitfilm interfaces are fundamentally different. Yes, I would love easy fades like Vegas (the only NLE to do it that way) and I would love every other NLE to put dissolves on clips that overlap, because Vegas-style fades are the fastest, easiest and smartest way to do it, but it's a little more complex than "lines of code." These two changes completely alter the workflow and interface and would require major recoding, both to implement the new features, and to maintain backwards compatibility with previous versions project files. 

In fact, it's a bit similar to WHY Vegas is end-of-life. Vegas's core kernel is based around antiquated Video for Windows code, and Sony obviously decided it was better/cheaper to start from scratch with Catalyst than to try to keep Vegas's interface and feature set with a new core. 

How is the UI different? There's two clips side to side like any NLE.
    You can drag one clip to another its possible on both appz. Except in vegas you can toggle a button to activate or deactive automatic fades.
    In hf there's no toggle button so it cuts the clip instead. A new feature can be added if they want to and if they won't stick to our way is better than the vegas way of doing it.
    They already changed the way speed adjustment is done because frankly the old way sucked. Its all up to them who has access to the code.

Sony is not making enough money. Its not just software. They're rebooting their product line. They even sold some divisions afaik.
    Its all about money which you can get by rebooting products :D

• "How so? Its just lines of code. "

That's a silly statement.

• "The devs and the in house testers just need to try other software like vegas, etc,"

What makes you think they have not? The FxHome folks obviously like their style, which is similar to Premiere. Or maybe they agnostic and just wanted HitFilm to be Premiere'ish on the NLE side and AE'ish on the composite side.

I like the Vegas style and it is what I have been using. I've got no problems with the Hitfilm style. I evolve and adapt.

There is one thing very clean about the Vegas/overlap style. It does not have a boundary condition problem. In Hitfilm when a cross dissolve is placed on a cut it takes frames after the end of the left event and before the beginning of the right event. The boundary condition(s) are, what if there are no frames at those location(s). Meaning you are at the begin/end of media. A proper crossfade cannot happen in that situation. When you physically overlap events, no such boundary condition can exist.

"That's a silly statement."

Lol. Guess its too unreachable for some. The only thing stopping them is time, money, effort. I've dealt with more complex development than adding crossfade to two clips. Think 3d software development with nodal architecture which is a whole lot more complex than 2d compositing app.

"What makes you think they have not? "

Because when it was pointed out they didn't know how it was done in vegas and asked how.  Are we crystal?