Davinci Resolve 12

Ok, I am ready to leave Vegas for good, I need a better secure option for Vegas. I am looking at Devinci Resolve 12, compared to what I am getting now in HF as far as "editing and coloring," they offer pretty much the same thing for free and somethings HF doesn't like multi-cam, scopes, etc. I know this will require a month or so to learn the new system. My question,

Does anyone here use Davinci for editing and coloring as their main or backup? How does it compare to the HF/Vegas integration in real life?

Do you know of any really good "Professional" complete Davinci training that I can download as well as view online?

Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

I don't know about download but I just got this promotion

http://school.filmsimplified.com/black-friday-rs/

• TheDigitalMediaTheDigitalMedia Website User Posts: 195

Thanks, checking it out now, looking at the promos showcasing the different parts covered in the training on my phone while typing on my computer.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

I guess this gets me out of doing that Vegas frame serving tut? :)

OpenEXR and separate audio is probably the way to go for round tripping HitFilm/Resolve. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,319 Ambassador

Nope. Still on Vegas--make with the tutorial, chop-chop. 

edited November 2015

@ Triem23 , Ha Ha :)  (Nope. Still on Vegas--make with the tutorial, chop-chop.)

@ Aladdin 4D, I am in a dilemma. Pay $100 for the training and commit to Resolve Free which will also make me want to learn fusion, or pay the $160 upgrade for HF4 hoping to see scopes, multi-camera editing, time line folders (groups), vst/au audio support, etc. Have to make sure I can create projects that can support our small local company.

Cons for resolve is I can't mix different types of footage unless you try to do a work around in multi-editing mode, UHD resolution limit (I have several cameras, the GH4 can shoot 4k), and the high requirement on a dedicated GPU. I don't plan on updating my editing system until Feb. or March next year. I currently have the GTX 970, i7, and 18gb memory.

I will research more and make a decision by the end of the day. Thanks again  

edited November 2015

@TheDigitalMedia Resolve like pretty much any NLE other than Vegas only has limited VST support at the moment. Odds are that will improve in future versions but the same could be said of HitFilm so tough call on that one.

I haven't played around with Resolve enough in multi-edit mode to offer any real opinions about it.

4k vs UHD - I think Resolve can import 4k just not export it. Even if it can't transcoding and proxies are pretty much a must in Resolve so you could just scale down to UHD during transcode and proxy creation.

GPU requirements for Resolve are pretty harsh but your 970 should be close enough to get you started. Personally I just can't get over the prices workstation GPU's demand.

@Triem23 Where's that Mpeg Streamclip tut you were going to do??

EDIT: One thing I forgot - Not all of the HitFilm plugins work in Resolve

• UbiUbi Website User Posts: 85

Well, i used Resolve for a couple projects and I must say that once you get into it it gives more freedom than HF editor. I think it's an ergonomic matter. Some HF filters won't work (one for all: noise reduction). I found scopes really handy (nearly vital), coloring is a breeze and I discovered being able to do some basic compositing directly into it (by the way, I found Fusion really buggy, especially on the keyboard side). Loved the optimized media feature (proxies) that make UHD editing a breeze.

• WillBellJrWillBellJr Website User Posts: 29 Just Starting Out
    edited November 2015

Yeah, I'm in the same boat - I just setup a nice new spiffy Win 10 machine and I refuse to install Vegas 12 Suite onto it!

I've downloaded and installed Davinci twice, the first being earlier this year. Now trying it again with the latest version; I still have YET to understand how to add a fade-in / fade-out / transition between clips, and I've been editing video starting with Premiere  and a Miro DC10 -> RTX-10 -> finally a Canopus DV Storm w/Edius Pro v3 way back in the late '90s to early 2000's.

But I keep hearing such "great" Davinci recommendations (like above), guess I need to RTFM to learn the basics, like how to add transitions...

I want to make HitFilm my main editor so bad, you just don't know!

I haven't had a meaty editing project yet for HF v4, though v3 fell short for me when it was released with the buggy titling, when trying to do simple lyric crawls at the bottom of a music video playlist I wanted to have playing in the background with company over during Thanksgivings and Christmas holidays!

-Will

Still trying out Davinci Resolve putting it through the paces.

So far the tracker is insanely outstanding,  and the color grading capabilites are amazing. 

I hate there is no background proxy render, you have to wait until the clip renders before proceeding unless I am missing something.  The editor is also choppy with just dragging the play head.  I will try to transcode to prores (tried dslr footage) to see if it helps but I haven't even tried 4K yet and the 1080p is almost unusable to make edits in real time playback.   

edited November 2015

Hitfilm give me multi-cam editing, scopes, and folder groups on the timeline of the editor and compositor, I will wait until January for the other updates:) and I can stop this search.

vst support, true audio only export, audio mixer, etc. 

• WillBellJrWillBellJr Website User Posts: 29 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2015

Yes, unless I'm missing something with HF myself, I need more than just ONE editor timeline.

For the simple stuff I do, I've actually started using ProShow Producer for editing video; I like how everything is treated like an "object"; drop in a picture or video; dbl-click the video, set the in/out points, slomo, etc., go back and they're both just a "block" on the timeline - I can then copy / paste, shift stuff around in an object oriented fashion, adjust the transitions between and render out.

I guess NLEs would call that Storyboard mode,  and yeah, I like the flexibility!

This is why I wish HF comps had transitions - I typically "precomp" (AfterFX term) my videos by cutting out what I don't need, add transitions to smooth between the cuts and then add slomo,  effects etc., then I drag the precomps onto my main timeline. 

With HF, I can't do my precomps the way I like because I can't add transitions, and I only get ONE timeline so I don't have access to "secondary" timelines where I can do my cuts, transitions, slomos etc., to then add back to the main timeline.

This is where HF falls short _for me_  and this is also why to date I honestly haven't used it all that much.

I guess I like the idea of HF, and I keep upgrading, BUT the way it currently works I need more than one main timeline, especially when the compositions WON'T let me add transitions between any cuts I happen to make within them.

I can appreciate HF comps are supposed to be a single edit, but still?, what's so hard/bad about allowing transitions within a comp???

The way I edit, when I trim or cut the heads or tails of my clips, I add transitions to smooth the edges - if you must refuse to give us transitions within comps then  give us multiple editor timelines then!

I might as well go back to using AfterFX CS6, but I was hoping to move away from Adobe (as a lot of others are), and was looking to HitFilm as my way out...

-Will

• UbiUbi Website User Posts: 85
    edited December 2015

While Resolve has the multiple timeline concept, HF has the composite shot, which is more powerful and can be used also like a standalone  timeline.

From this pov Resolve is less powerful, but I still prefer it because it's capable of standing gazillions gb footage without creaking too much.

What HF misses is a serious proxy handling. Configurable. And for me the slowish background calculation is pointless because with 4k footage you NEED proxies just before starting to edit. Or you have a Godzilla machine...

Another point to Resolve is the control you have over the color. HF cannot give you this precision, a bunch of stacked plugins that don't interact much each other make everything more difficult.

@ Ubi

You make a great point about proxy renders. Maybe in a future update we can have an option to allocate proxy priority. Background, or primary to consume more resources like a full blown edit. It is like turning hitfilm into its very own batch video converter which can make proprietary files specifically for its editing needs quicker.