Arms Race: the steampunk web series by It's A Trap!

Comments

• MatthiasClaflin
    MatthiasClaflin Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    Looking very good! It seems to be coming together nicely.
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,370 Enthusiast
    We had an editing get-together last night to tighten up episode 1 so that I can then press on with the VFX. Ep1 is a curious beast as it's the most non-linear in terms of action - all the other episodes have quite a defined structure based on dialogue and delineated scenes, whereas episode 1 is essentially one running battle.
    This means there's a lot of room for shifting the individual beats and pacing of the battle, as actual continuity is minimal. What we're finding, though, is that little mini-hero stories are emerging based on how we edit. It's a very interesting process, albeit one that is taking slightly longer than intended.
  • spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,156 Expert
    Can't wait for this to come out. The props are so awesome looking and it seems to be coming together very nicely.
  • SimonKJones
    Shot some pick-ups last night in Norwich on a street called Elm Hill. Same place they used to shoot the market in Stardust.
    Unfortunately we didn't have the luxury of closing off the street, so it was quite a juggling act with cars and pedestrians, even though we had full permission to shoot there. :)
  • OrangePekoe
    OrangePekoe Posts: 452 Just Starting Out*

Shot some pick-ups last night in Norwich on a street called Elm Hill. Same place they used to shoot the market in Stardust.
    Unfortunately we didn't have the luxury of closing off the street, so it was quite a juggling act with cars and pedestrians, even though we had full permission to shoot there. :)
    Looking forward to seeing this series. Are you guys filming BTS work as well?
  • SimonKJones
    We did film some BTS stuff but due to budget and time weren't able to shoot anything dedicated. Hopefully we'll be able to pull something together, though. :)
    Talking of which, I need to do some more Arms Race blogging this weekend....
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,255 Staff
    Awesome! Elm hill is great, I had a blast wandering through there when I was visiting Norwich. Really looking forward to seeing the series.
  • SimonKJones
    Been a while since the last update because we've all been crazy busy in post, but here's a nice behind-the-scenes sneak peek at the shoot:
    http://youtu.be/qPFA9FLkg1M
    Mark your diaries for the 10/11/12 premiere. That's British date format, of course, gentlemen.
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,255 Staff
    That's looking like more and more fun all the time. Looks like an impressive increase in the scale of the production, in comparison to the original short.
  • StrikeEmStudios
    StrikeEmStudios Posts: 224 Just Starting Out
    edited October 2012
    Looking great, I see you got the Hexcam involved, stumbled on that local company a couple of weeks back and i'm been eager to see what the shots turn out like.
    What beach did you use for the battle scene? looks like North Norfolk
  • MatthiasClaflin
    I agree with Axel, looks like quite the increase in scale on this production. Very excited to see how it all turns out!
  • SimonKJones
    StrikeEm - Happisburgh, which I believe you're familiar with. :)
    I've been so focused on a few particular episodes due to their VFX requirements that my brain had kinda forgotten just how many locations we have in the series. It's nicely varied. Really hope you guys enjoy it - it's not intended to be high art, but it should hopefully be a lot of fun. :)
  • spydurhank
    Very... very cool! :D
  • SimonKJones
    edited November 2012
  • OrangePekoe
    OrangePekoe Posts: 452 Just Starting Out*
    Simon that image / movie / webseries poster is amazing! Well done!
    It gives a bit of a sense for the original Star Wars / Indiana Jones feel, love it!!
  • MatthiasClaflin
    edited November 2012
    Great poster, as orange pekoe said, it emulates the original Star Wars/Indiana Jones feel very well. I am curious, does this mean the film will have that sort of feel as well?
  • SimonKJones
    Aaaaaaaand, here's episode 1:
    http://youtu.be/GlJGiPRuUtk
    Really pleased with how the show has come out. As always when working on no-budget things with people's donated spare time, you always wish you could have more resources. But given what we've got, I'm really proud of the overall achievement.
  • StrikeEmStudios
    StrikeEmStudios Posts: 224 Just Starting Out
    It just dawned on me i had mentioned the beach thing before, but nearly a year or so before hand. That location looks completely different to the last time i went down there with my camera.
    Congratulations on finally competing this project, looks like this would have been a difficult sequence to shoot/ edit all the effects for especially since you did it all in the spare time around work. Sure they could have been a lot better, but considering the way it was shot (lots of movement) and the time you had, you did a good job.
    I'll be checking out the rest of the series as it's always good to see what other local film makers are doing, i just hope theres more time spent on the characters as I couldn't work out quite who was who at this point.
  • spydurhank
    Fracking awesome!!!! :D
  • SimonKJones
    Thanks guys!
    The following episodes focus in on a couple of characters, rather than the broad canvas of this opening.
    The web series was a far bigger job than I think any of us anticipated and the post work was up against some serious deadlines that couldn't be moved - primarily because my first child is due in a couple of weeks (eep), so everything had to be done well in advance of that. It crushed the schedule up a bit, so a lot of the shots I'm not 100% satisfied with, as they're lacking in that final polish/detail that I normally like to work in.
    I think, however, that the general quality is sufficient to ensure a fun time for the audience, which is the main thing. Better to finish a project and move on to the next rather than spend forever tweaking it.
  • RossTrowbridge
    RossTrowbridge Posts: 399 Enthusiast

I think, however, that the general quality is sufficient to ensure a fun time for the audience, which is the main thing. Better to finish a project and move on to the next rather than spend forever tweaking it.
    Tell that to George Lucas!
    I've been looking forward to this. Glad it's finally out.
  • Fantastic stuff It's trap! i've been waiting ages to see it completed and it's just amazing. The script- especially the very british quips (the bucket and spades line springs to mind!) was great and flowed lovely without detracting from the action. the battle scenes were very cool- the aeriel shots worked fantastically and some of the fx for the bullets were really gruesome;especially with the signaller! I loved the cinematography and the costumes, especially that Russian brute with the double weapons! Not to mention the excitement i felt when i saw my prop in episode 2 very briefly!
    I highly recommend it to everyone ( i've already shared it on facebook!) who hasn't watched it yet and i'm eagerly anticipating the next installments.
    Sam
  • Aculag
    Aculag Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    edited November 2012
    Episode 2 was really interesting. Somehow it reminded me of Star Trek, but that could just mean I've been watching too much Star Trek recently...
    You guys have some fantastic props. It's been cool seeing them in action after watching the videos of them being made. I love the look of that mask the one guy wears (Kostov?), can't wait to see more of that. And the bug was also really cool and inventive. Looking forward to seeing where this goes!
    One criticism, I felt the indoor lighting in the second episode was pretty harsh. The light coming from the fireplace, especially.
  • SimonKJones
    Thanks guys!
    Aculag - I like the look in general of ep2, but it probably could have done with a bit more finessing. The grade was deliberately heavy on the fireplace scene as the original set looked quite stark and bare, but we probably should have backed off a little bit.
    mercian - the death of the signaller is probably my favourite individual VFX shot in the show. There only needed to be a single shot, but I thought I'd have a bit of fun. :P
    Incidentally, here's ep 2 for anybody that hasn't seen it:
    http://youtu.be/S8PQ9PW3S18
  • well now the series is finished, which I hope wont be our last visit to the Armsrace Universe, I really enjoyed it.
    I think the first episode was the stand out episode with its epic opening fantatic beach battle and killer ant
    The second episode was intriguing with its glimpse into the world away from the battle field
    there were a couple of bits after that I didn't feel worked so well with the run and gun bits but I think the series really picked up with the airship turning up.
    Hopefully getting beaten up by a girl will teach the male lead not to chuck his gun away and fist fight at every opertunity.
    The effects were great and while realistic I dont think it needed any bloodsplatter, to me the project had the feel of a Sunday afternoon warfilm on steroids
    In summary it was great to see a project were people went and made something better than 99% of the stuff on tv for free.
  • SimonKJones
    Been away for December due to a new mini-Jones, so wasn't able to post the remaining eps as they're all now out, here are some nice embedded links:
    http://youtu.be/8jRvv9AcSPQ
    http://youtu.be/9s9FlTcQLkY
    http://youtu.be/L7rOqx_XcLA
    http://youtu.be/xMA1SPtD6Jc
    Lurkerish - thanks for the episode-by-episode review! I basically agree with you entirely. :) We'd definitely like to go back to the Arms Race universe in some way, though we'll probably take a break from it for a bit to recharge our steampunk batteries. :)
  • SimonKJones
    Nigel just posted a new prop building tutorial, taking a close look at turning a cheap bit of plastic into a metallic, brass prop. It's pretty nifty:
    http://youtu.be/ipANGkOe4DI
  • Aculag
    Aculag Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    Oh wow, I totally missed the remaining episodes. I was just thinking the other day, "I wonder when the new Arms Race episode will be released." Duuuuuuuhhh.
    Gonna watch these later today. :)
  • SimonKJones
    Yeah, that's what happens when I have a baby halfway through the promotional efforts. ;)
  • SimonKJones
    Here's the latest addition to the Arms Race universe:
    http://youtu.be/RvWQyB4dcOo