Adobe Media Encoder CC

MchenetzMchenetz Website User Posts: 20 Just Starting Out

Is there any format in Adobe Media Encoder that will work with Hitfilm 4? I am using 1920x1280 media from a Sony XAVX-S format and i have not been able to find a format that works with Hitfilm. I tried MXF wrapped DNxHD, Quicktime, and DVCPRO, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

Did you mean XAVC-S?

According to Wikipedia-

"Software that supports XAVC include Adobe Creative Suite 6, Avid, Grass Valley's EDIUS Pro 7, Quantel, Rovi MainConcept SDK, and Sony Vegas Pro 12.[1][2] Sony announced that XAVC licensing information and a software development kit (SDK) would be released in November 2012.[13][14] Sony offers the free XAVC plugin PDZK-LT2 for Apples Final Cut Pro X downloadable at http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com. Version 10.2 of Final Cut Pro X supports XAVC-S natively.

For XAVC S, CyberLink PowerDirector, Adobe Premiere Elements, Apple's iMovie 10, Pinnacle Studio 18 Ultimate and Sony Movie Studio Platinum support it for editing and production."

I have Adobe Media Encoder CS5. I don't know for certain if it can accept the XAVC format but I'd be willing to give it a shot if you would like. If you have a place where you can upload a direct file i.e. dropbox, I can download it, drop it in and see if it works or not.

Otherwise, if you have any of the programs listed in the quote above you might be able to export the video to another format. Have you checked Sony's website to see if they offer any type of converter or recommend one at least?

• MchenetzMchenetz Website User Posts: 20 Just Starting Out

Thanks for that... Yes... I meant XAVC-S which is supported in Media Encoder. What i don't know is what destination format to encode to for Hitfilm. I tried all of the recommended formats and they do not seem to work. Again, Any help would be most appreciated. TIA

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

1920 x 1280?? If so that's not a 'legal' resolution for XAVC-S, DNxHD or DVCPRO HD. It might be usable with a different QuickTime codec but I think we probably need a little more information in order to help like where do you come up with something 1920 x 1280? 

If it's just a typo and it's really 1920 x 1080 XAVC-S then you don't need to do anything as XAVC is really just x264/mp4 and HitFilm can import that.

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    edited November 2015

I just tried converting a random clip and, in Adobe Media Encoder, having the 'Format' set to QuickTime with the 'Preset' selected to NTSC DV Widescreen 24p - it worked just fine in HF4P. It also worked with the 'Format' set to Windows Media, H.264 and Microsoft AVI.

i will try the setttings you specified. It was definitely a typo. 1920x1080 is the resolution i was talking about. I couldn't edit directly with XAVC-S. I am really looking for a format that is preferred for editing in Hitfilm 4. The most optimized format. Thanks again!

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,240 Staff

Your best bests for HitFilm performance are .mov video files using either DNxHD or ProRes codecs. Or image sequences.

Thanks Axel! Will try!