Discussing Nov 24 software update

PaulHesh
PaulHesh Posts: 120 Enthusiast
edited November 2015 in General

I was hoping [for some effects]. lol

[Mod edit: Clarified the title as this is more about general discussion of the update. Thanks!]

Comments

• NXVisualStudio
    NXVisualStudio Posts: 734 Ambassador

PaulHesh

This is just a temporary fix for now but rest assured there will be updates with blogs to follow in the near future. :)   

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,072 Ambassador

I'm pretty sure an all-new render/lighting engine with spill reflections and refractions counts as a new effect. 

• PaulHesh
    PaulHesh Posts: 120 Enthusiast

@Triem23 I'm not talking HF4 I'm talking about the 1st update that came out today. You convention working folk have to wait till you get home. lol

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,072 Ambassador

Heh. Sorry, I am actually off that gig now, but circumstances will likely mean I won't get on Hitfilm for awhile. I didn't even realize new updates were out. 

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,436 Ambassador

Wow!  Does anybody at FXHome ever sleep?

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,082 Enthusiast

Sleep only comes involuntarily due to lack of sleep. 

At small companies the time immediately preceding a major release and the fire drills period just after release are an all hands on deck situation. I've been there, and once when all hands were not on deck...ouch.

I commend FxHome for having more staffers than normal monitoring and responding in the forum to help keep things responsive. Getting a quick update out with a few key fixes is great. Normally people want to clump a greater number of fixes into a release due to the overhead of generating a release, but then users have to suffer longer for the bigger bugfix release. I know I was affected by the OpenFX issue, which was a total show stopper in working on a saved project. That has all been fixed.

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast

@NormanPCN back in the HF1 and 2 days that's pretty much what we did, for those exact reasons. With HF3 we made a conscious decision to try to be more responsive and shifted development processes accordingly. We don't always release updates as fast as we'd like, but it's certainly been better than before. 

The nice thing about having a forum full of active people is that it makes it very easy to identify issues and get genuinely useful, detailed reports.