Good review of HF 4 Pro

Comments

• Marshall2000_uk
    Marshall2000_uk Posts: 176 Enthusiast

Good read that, thanks for sharing

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,072 Ambassador

It was a good review. Also a nice breakdown of strengths and weaknesses between Hitfilm and it's most obvious competition. 

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,082 Enthusiast

One thing that confused me a little in the review is the comment about shapes. Yes, there is nothing like a shape layer, but with BCC Extruded Spline we now have a reasonable selection of shapes and built right in Hitfilm. No other software needed. So we are not totally without shapes in HF4.

If AE shape layers are anything like PS shapes, and I'll bet they are, we are missing some things like customizing via shape intersection and such.

Most of the time I just want a shape. In the past, aka Vegas, I commonly used various Dingbats fonts I downloaded to get desired shapes. In Hitfilm 4 with BCC we can easily extrude those when we need them to 3D. 

• Triem23

Well, the review didn't cover anything about Mocha or Boris at all, focusing on the core features of Hitfilm. They also forgot to mention the lack of scopes, which, at this point is the biggest oversight in the software. 

For what it's worth, I left one of my famous long comments after their review, covering the few things they missed.  

• WhiteCranePhoto
    WhiteCranePhoto Posts: 924 Enthusiast
    edited December 2015

Not having scopes should be considered a bug.

Syncing audio and video are another major oversight. I don't know whether or not they've been addressed, since the review didn't mention it, and neither does the HitFilm product page...

• Triem23

HF4 still lacks scopes (currently the biggest oversight, IMHO), and auto synch. 

As far as synch goes, Vegas, Premiere and Avid don't really have good tools for that either. Perhaps we Hitfilm users need to bug Red Giant to make a Hitfilm compatible Pluraleyes, because that bit of software is fantastic! Or, if FxHome adds XML import, one could bounce through Pluraleyes with it's XML export. 

• WhiteCranePhoto
    edited December 2015

PluralEyes' workflow is terrible. Timcode sync by now should be considered a core feature of any NLE, because any NLE that doesn't support it is basically assuming that no one using it will ever do production audio recording properly, which is bogus.

PluralEyes' XML support is the problem. It exports a timeline... so you have to put clips into bins to organize them. I did it once and found that it was a LOT easier and faster to edit using the crappy scratch track in the NLE and sync the tracks I cared about using the slate.

If it doesn't have tools for syncing audio and video, even if it's not fully automated, it's only useful for MOS, which means it's not an NLE. And if it doesn't allow for exporting a useful intermediate codec that could work with a color grading app, then it plays well with nothing, making it useful only for the plugins (which are quite good, IMO).

• Triem23

Hmmmm. Never had issues with Pluraleyes. Now, for a short synch, like if I am cutting a multicam concert where everything runs an hour straight, it's faster to hand-synch. For a wedding or multicam event where I am taking master audio to a dedicated recorder, Pluraleyes is great. But, at least with Vegas, it's as simple as loading everything into Pluraleyes, and Pluraleyes drops it's output pretty much right to the Vegas timeline. 

Never had to use Pluraleyes XML output, so you taught me something today. 

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast
    edited December 2015

HitFilm exports OpenEXR half which realistically is going to be better for color grading than any video codec and has pretty broad support.

From a technical standpoint the next best choice would probably be Cineform but getting there is limited at the moment.

Long term anything Quicktime related is a dead end on Windows. Apple officially abandoned Quicktime for Windows development over 4 years ago, The Quicktime API successor, QTKit was never ported to Windows and Apple killed that off even for Apple developers in favor of AVFoundation which will likely never be seen on Windows. 

• WhiteCranePhoto

I've been hoping that the industry would give up on Quicktime because of the fact that Apple is clearly not customer focused... and appears to not even be interested in the professional users any more anyway.

DNxHR however doesn't require quicktime, and neither does HQX...

If I get anywhere with HitFilm, I'll have to give OpenEXR a shot.

• WhiteCranePhoto

@Triem23, in my experience PluralEyes does a great job of syncing, and it's fine for jobs that are a small number of large clips... for something like a film where you're going to have dozens of short clips, getting them all crammed into a single timeline leads to a major workflow hassle, since you'd then have to move each clip into a bin for organization, or you have to re-render the footage out from PluralEyes with the audio replaced, which if you're looking at a large project can take forever. And if you're shooting with CinemaDNG, things get even more clumsy.

• MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast

@Triem23 I mentioned that about video copilot remember.

• Triem23

@MichaelJames honestly, nope. :-) but I am waaaaay too active on here, lose track of things, and sometimes catch myself repeating myself in the same thread in adjacent posts. 

• MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast

I wish I had some programming savviness.   I would make this app and then list it for 50 bucks.