Can I do 2D motion graphics with hitfilm??

visualbugvisualbug Website User Posts: 4
edited November 2015 in Post-production techniques

Hi all, 

I have Hitfilm PRO 3, planning to upgrade to V.4

I am a Graphic Designer, I want to design and animate 2D motion graphics, like this:

or

there are tutorials about this style of mograph with hitfilm pro 3 or 4?
where I can learn about it? (sorry if this was answered before, I just start to play with hitfilm today, with this goal in mind)
thanks, 

Comments

• SteveKarstensenSteveKarstensen Website User Posts: 336

I only watched the second video, but it looks to me like most of those can be done with planes and keyframes.  There's a tutorial on the official Hitfilm YouTube channel about keyframing, if memory serves.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,303 Ambassador

Yes. Yes you can.

Take a look on YouTube at the "AGArtsco" Channel. They animate in Hitfilm, so on their channel you can see examples of similar styles of mograph, and well as a couple of tutorial and template videos. 

On this forum look at the Sticky Thread "Learning Hitfilm" which lists most (not quite all) of the FxHome tutorials and many (not all) community tutorials in a list broken down by subject. This list in the first post on page 1 of the thread. These tutorials go back to Hitfilm 1, but every technique in every tutorial still applies to Hitfilm 4. You might have to "translate" a little for minor interface changes, but it will get you started. 

For your purposes the new value graph/manual bezier keyframes in Hitfilm 4 will make a lot of those bouncing motions a lot easier to animate than Hitfilm 3, so it's absolutely worth the upgrade. 

• visualbugvisualbug Website User Posts: 4

Thanks a lot guys! I will check it out! 

• PencilandincPencilandinc Website User Posts: 143

@visualbug Welcome to the party! From one graphic designer to another who found their way to HitFilm.

@pencilandinc thanks, well, I got into hitfilm because I bought Vegas pro 13 and was included, so now I am interested in motion graphics with hitfilm for freelancing  ;) 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,303 Ambassador
    edited November 2015

@visualbug check out the Hitfilm YouTube channel, which has tons of tutorials organized by playlists. Also the first comment of the "Learning Hitfilm" sticky thread. 

Check out masking, 2D and 3D compositing tutorials, Text, camera and keyframing tutorials. That's what you'll need to know about for this style of mograph.

If you have an image editor (gimp, Photoshop, etc) you can do your drawn elements there. For that flat graphics look you could even draw them in Hitfilm with planes and masking tools! 

Google "Paper Doll" animation and learn the concept. For these types of shots that's how you have to approach your rigs--you'll be breaking objects up into overlapping sections and rigging up lots of points for the joints. 

edited November 2015

Thanks @Triem23

I will check youtube hitfilm channel, 
    "Paper Doll" animation, interesting..........