HF4 and proxy

Ubi
Ubi Posts: 85

I'm evaluating upgrading to 4. What stops me with 3 is how difficult to achieve decent editing performance. On resolve o can bake optimized media and go. Does HF4 finally support proxies in a smart way?

Comments

• From what I have read for HF4 update the proxy render is the same. I have not purchased the update yet, not really excited about the updates. At this point I most likely will update to support the software because I am hoping to see some other changes I need.

You can right click and render (proxy) all the files in the media panel to speed things up .

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,072 Ambassador

What's the "smart way" to implement proxies? Pretty much any NLE that supports proxies is right-click and background render to a folder. That's what Hitfilm does. 

One complication in the Hitfilm proxies is that they are a proprietary format. This is to allow proxies to work in the demo without proxies being a way to sidestep the demo's YouTube only export. For FxHome to proxy to a standard format they would have to disable proxies in the demo. Hitfilm's proxies are lossless, which does mean low-compression/high bandwidth, so you need a fast drive. 

Finally, don't forget the Wishlist thread. It's a sticky. The forum is starting to get cluttered this week with feature requests scattered around threads. Harder for the devs to follow. 

• Ubi

@Triem23: you are right, smart is a subjective term. In my case it means being able to use an highly (configurable) compressed format in editing while automatically switch to the original files in rendering. I'd be fine with proxies disabled in demo version if this can lead to a better result when activated. I'll give a look to the wish list thread anyway. Thanks!

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,072 Ambassador
    edited November 2015

You can switch to original files on render. In the Hitfilm Options tab for Proxies, uncheck "Use proxies on render." However, given that proxies are a lossless codec I don't see an advantage for not using them on render. 

YOU and I might be fine with no proxies in the demo, but I don't think FxHome will go for it. ;-) 

• Ubi

Well, we can come to a compromise... let's keep the lossless proxy format in the demo AND add more formats in the registered version :)

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,082 Enthusiast
    edited November 2015

The current proxy format does work well, but it does place a very high demand on HD throughput. If you don't have concurrent streams on screen at once you are probably ok. The fact that the proxies are max quality renders means they speed final exports as well which I am sure the Hitfilm folks really wanted.

There is a whole class of use that just wants editing to be smoothed out. Hitfilm does not seem to do extensive optimization to better handle many/most LongGOP timeline use. The common response here is switch to DNxHD/HR or Cineform. On Windows, the whole DNxHD/HR thing opens up the whole Quicktime can of worms.

I would think that Hitfilm could have a proxy format used only for physical media. It could be a lossy Intra only format to speed timeline use of that media. Given how many posts I see about choppy timeline performance this seems an important issue.

The big thing here is what codec. You want this function to be native. DNxHD/HR and Cineform are SMPTE standard but I think they still have licensing costs. Cineform might be ultra cheap. I don't think GoPro cares about this like Avid does with DNxHD/HR.

There is always motion jpeg. This is really all that DNxHD/HR and ProRes are. A DCT based image compressor like jpeg. Cineform is wavelet. There is a lot of DCT and wavelet public domain image compression code out there to start something native on. LongGOP encoders are complicated, but Intra is just simple whole image compressors and simple.

The current Hitfilm proxy is ideal for complicated Composites. It is far from ideal for camera media. Serious overkill and overhead.

One man's view on the subject.