Speeding up video

Hey listen! New editor and I want to speed up a couple of shots in my video (i.e. put them into fast forward). How do I do this in Hitfilm?

Comments

• Domo326
    Domo326 Website User Posts: 4

I would love to know how to do this also. I use to use Sony movie studio and it was as easy as holding down the shift button (or a similar button) and dragging the clip out on the timeline. Wish it could be that easy on this also.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,005 Ambassador
    edited October 2015

If you just need the footage to be faster, easiest way is to right-click the footage in the media panel, select Properties and change the frame rate (so, if your footage is 24fps, 48 would be double speed). 

If you need to ramp, load your footage into it's own composite shot. Drag this composite shot into your main composite shot (in Hitfilm we call this "embedding a Composite Shot." In After Effects it's called "precomposition.") and apply the Speed effect to the embedded comp. With the Speed effect 1.0 is normal speed, 2.0 is double speed. Using the speed effect will let you start at normal speed, then ramp up to fast motion. Note that applying the Speed effect won't change the duration of the data block on the timeline. So, if you have a 20 second shot you make double speed, it will still show as 20 seconds on the timeline, but the last half will be black/blank frames. No biggie--just drag in the right side of the block to the desired length. 

Note that speeding up or slowing down footage does nothing to the audio. Hitfilm 3 has no tools to speed or slow audio. If you don't have an audio editor, Audacity is a pretty good (free!) option. 

Good luck, and welcome to the forums and the fun of Hitfilm.