Has anyone else tried to create this in hitfilm?

FilmTech
FilmTech Website User Posts: 388 Just Starting Out

So Film Riot just released a new video 5 days ago on how to fake an infrared video look in after effects. My question is has anyone managed to recreate it in hitfilm? Cause I just can't seem to get it right.

Here is the video

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,005 Ambassador

I haven't tried yet, but one of the key things in the Film Riot version is the use of the Coloramata filter--Hitfilm doesn't have that. The closest thing Hitfilm has is the Gradient Map effect which can map a color gradient across the image based on luma values, which is pretty close to what Colorama is doing.

Maybe, MAYBE I'll play around with a similar effect in Hitfilm. Should be able to get a similar effect, but the method will be a little different in Hitfilm--for now, try the Gradient Map for the Colorama steps and see what that does for you.

• FilmTech

Alright! If you get something similar please post how you did it! Im sure others would probably like to know too.

• FilmTech

Ok I've gotten it pretty close but I just need to match the skin tones... So what is this gradient map because when I search it up it isn't there. I am using Hitfilm 3 Pro.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,005 Ambassador
    edited October 2015

Sorry---Vegas Pro calls this effect "Gradient Map." Hitfilm Pro calls it "Color Map." Here's it's manual page: http://hitfilm.com/reference-manuals/hitfilm-3-pro#color_2.htm?zoom_highlightsub=color+map

So it's interface is very different from AE's, but you can see it's still taking the luma values of the Target Layer and applying a gradient from a Source Layer. Same basic thing.

You might need to also use the Color Phase effect (same effects group/manual page as Color Map) to correct the skin tones.

• ShirokazePL
    ShirokazePL Website User Posts: 1

OK, But is there any way to, let's say, simulate gradient/color map effect in HF4 Express?