Fixing/Coloring Shots

Hi. I am dealing with GO PRO footage from a Hero3, and whenever I use it inside my house the clips are always a little fuzzy and dark.

I have many top-down shots like this in my video

But I was wondering if perhaps some one could help me make them look better? Lighter quite possibly, with minimal noise?

Don't worry about the green top of the phone or any aspects of the clip, I've already made the video, I just need to go regrade/fix up individual clips.

Comments

• FilmTech
    FilmTech Website User Posts: 388 Just Starting Out

The video is marked as private. But Hitfilm has noise and grain removal and also brightness controls. Have you tried them?

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,021 Ambassador

Here's the thing... Hitfilm has brightness and noise removal tools which can help. But, Go Pros have terrible lowlight, and it's, in the long run, better to add lights. Check out the DIY lighting tutorials on YouTube from Film Riot and others for future filming. Home Depot or Wal Mart or any hardware store should have cheap light fixtures with clamps for $5-10. Just clamp it up, add a bulb and you have a cheap, easy to focus light. 

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

Adding a light or two is definitely the way to go in the future but for the stuff you've already done I'd try duplicating your footage layer setting the blend mode of the upper layer to Add and adding the Curves effect to the lower layer. Adjust the Curves till you find something you're happy with that isn't clipping. 

• LiamMrK2
    LiamMrK2 Website User Posts: 77

https://youtu.be/_O021IC7064

This is the current state of the video, any suggestions? Trying really hard to not re film anything...

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,021 Ambassador

Didn't look too grainy on my Galaxy s5.

Cute concept! That's fun! 

• LiamMrK2
    LiamMrK2 Website User Posts: 77

THANK YOU TRIEM, that was nice! At this point I think I'm just going to add music to it and officially post it this weekend on my main channel