Comedic Transition

LiamMrK2
LiamMrK2 Website User Posts: 77

I am making a video where I am going from this 45 second long serious speech to a funny clip that balances it out.

In this particular scenario I'm being inspirational from a front shot for about 45 seconds

then it turns out I was just talking to my cat the whole time (revealed side/wide shot)

When I just put these two clips after each other, it doesn't seem to have any comedic timing.

Any suggestion on how to transition these two clips to get some laughs?

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,956 Ambassador

Liam, I think we're gonna have to see the rough cut to have suggestions. 

• GodofThunder
    GodofThunder Website User Posts: 190 Just Starting Out

Does it have to be just the two cuts? Add a third of you again reacting to non reaction of the cat.

warch the film riot guys, they've turned silent stares into an art form.

• LiamMrK2
    LiamMrK2 Website User Posts: 77

This is the finished project,

Can't rip it off youtube now,  but thanks for the help!

• johnnyjelko
    johnnyjelko Website User Posts: 93

The best transition happens during action- if you can rerecord it I would suggest letting the audience know "that you're aware you're about to be in checkmate after your next move(basically having no where else to go) Then as you give up your final move, use that time to transition(with you doing filming the same movement) this time maybe 3rd person view from the cat's point of view or something similar. 

Or maybe you could add some "royalty free" background music, something ambient or inspirational. Then have the cut be quiet or crickets or something.

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,247 Staff

I can think of a couple things you could try.

First, I think more consistent eye contact with the cat while you give the speech would help. You could either set this up as a to-camera shot, which is sort of what you have, or have the subject off-camera but we can't see who it is. With the particular topic of your speech, I think off-screen would work better, since I'm not playing chess with you. 

Then, cut to the two-shot during the last line of dialogue. This will clearly establish that you are still talking, and its clearly been to the cat the whole time. For comedic timing, I think its also important that the cat be sitting still and listening during that reveal shot. Then he can get up and walk across the board. 

Rub a bit of catnip or something he likes to eat on one of the chess pieces, and get a close-up of him licking it, if you can. This would sort of serve as the cat's reaction shot, which could be intercut with a reaction shot of you, after he licks the piece or whatever.