Have Drone's and filming had their day?

Andy001z
Andy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,976 Ambassador
edited October 2015 in Practical Filmmaking

OK, so I know Drone tech is big business and more and more filming drones keep on coming, but it was a recent video my @CorridorDigital https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOHfJHaUMdw&feature=player_detailpage that seemed to suggest that, States Side at least it was getting harder and harder to fly drones, even in areas where you might consider it OK (i.e. not around buildings or residentual areas). More rules seem to be popping up, might the day of using a drone to film be numbered or at least become a very formal process of form filling and ££$$$.

Is the furture of Drone filming for the amature film maker going to be bandit film making?

PS: Got to love this latest video by them, so orginal!

Comments

• HybridHalo
    HybridHalo Website User Posts: 56 Enthusiast
    edited October 2015

In the UK, laws/rules have been about for ages : https://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1995&pageid=16012

The nature of the amateur film-making has always been guerilla/bandit film-making. If you've not been told by someone that you 'can't film here' then you haven't earned your amateur film-making wings. 

The difficult with drones is that they aren't as conspicuous as an amateur film-crew. They draw attention. Though I don't think their day is up, I think they're just another thing to find a solution for, and I think often there is *some* leeway you can use by contacting park ranges/police and notifying people of what you're doing.

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,976 Ambassador

And as if by magic a story re-drones appears on the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34464487

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,728 Ambassador
    edited October 2015

I wonder if Amazon is still planning on delivering by drone. There would probably need to be guidelines for altitude, traffic ways and such. Oh I just had a thought, what about pirates using their own bigger drones to capture the Amazon drones and take the packages? But- if Amazon can get clearance for a drone operation then I think it's only fair for the rest of us to be able to take advantage of the same guidelines.....and be susceptible to pirates as well. ;^)

I'm with HybridHalo, one should be able to operate a drone as long as they give notification and it's not in an area where aircraft flight paths aren't a concern. I heard a report on the radio a few months ago about drones being banned in national parks (U.S.) because the noise frightened the wildlife. If that were the case, no one should be allowed in any national park for any reason. Stupid is as stupid does I guess. What happens when one animal frightens another? It's just an excuse given by those who don't like drones in the first place if you ask me.