Need help with a demon and a green screen concept ?

tuckerkras12
tuckerkras12 Website User Posts: 64
edited October 2015 in Practical Filmmaking

I am trying to take an actor on a green screen with just some small various movements and have him act like a demon.  When I take the footage into hitfilm I take all the color out of the actor so he is completely black.  The problem is he still looks like an actor. Since hitfilm does not have liquify, does anyone have an idea how to shrink the legs, body, etc.... I just want it to look more like a creature instead of a person. Thanks

Comments

• JPS333
    JPS333 Website User Posts: 119 Just Starting Out

You could always erase his original legs in the footage and replace them with resized ones (this will be easy since the actors on a green screen). Or you can use some if the distortions available in Hitfilm. 

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,956 Ambassador
    edited October 2015

Like JPS said, use Hitfilm's other Distortion effects. When you're following a Film Riot tutorial (and you are) or any tutorial, it's not about following the exact steps, but about the idea. In this case, changing the shape of a silhouette. 

Here's a quick one I did in Hitfilm Ultimate 2 a couple of years ago. In this case I am just using Bulge filters tracked to the eyes, nose, and mouth. 

• GodofThunder
    GodofThunder Website User Posts: 190 Just Starting Out

I used the heat distortion effect to add 'something' to smoke and accidentally ended up with a good effect that would be suitable for a ghost film I've had in mind.

Perhaps you could use it to 'disguise' the legs and make the bottom half of the demon look supernatural?

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,728 Ambassador
    edited October 2015

I'm not sure what you mean by shrinking the body and legs but with a mask added around your actor you could use the feathering strength (adjust the 'in' or 'both' settings to taste). You'd also have the option of the expansion control in the mask settings. If the actor isn't moving a lot you wouldn't have to rotoscope too much.

Let us know what you finally come up with.

• tuckerkras12
    tuckerkras12 Website User Posts: 64

Great ideas, thanks guys!

• GodofThunder
    GodofThunder Website User Posts: 190 Just Starting Out
    edited October 2015

Without sitting in front of hitfilm (so I can't remember the exact description), you could use polar/bulge with a negative number so it inverts/shrinks the legs. Or you could do what Hitfilm guys did with the demon in the corner, blend the legs into amorphous mist/smoke.  Here's the link 

Take a look at bloodycuts 'don't move' short, they used ink in water effects to disguise the demon. Here