Hitfilm Ultimate has to exit...

Hey guys... this is my first time posting on the new forum, but I hope to start having a more active presence soon!
Anyways, I've been using Hitfilm to create muzzle flashes and other effects for a feature film. At the moment, I can't really reveal much more than that --- except that it's sci-fi, shot-in-3D, and that Axel Wilkinson is lending his expertise to a couple of shots. Up until now, it's been pretty smooth sailing, but unfortunately, I seem to have encountered my first problem.
A few days ago, I clicked the "eyeball" to activate the visibility for a layer... and I instantly received this message:
We're sorry. Hitfilm Ultimate encountered a problem and has to exit. To help us fix this problem, please send the crash report to us.
When I opened the project again, and tried to perform the same task, I got the same result. I then noticed that it happens when I try to turn visibility on or off for seemingly any other layers within that same project. At first, the problem was only confined to that specific project, but today, I've been getting the exact same error message with different projects. It's not restricted to toggling visibility on or off... but it now happens when I try to do other things... like dragging media onto a shot, deleting project media, deleting items from the timeline, etc. It doesn't matter what project I'm in, or what function I'm doing... I'm now crashing Hitfilm almost every time I use it.
As far as I know, I haven't "changed" my computer in any way since I've had the software, except I did download the trial of Cineform Neoscene shortly before I started getting the error message. However, I don't seem to get the error message when I use my Cineform footage in Hitflim... rather I get it when working on projects with Quicktime Animation .mov's. These projects have absolutely no Cineform footage in them. I also downloaded PFhoe Pro a few weeks ago, but the error didn't start occurring until just a couple of days ago.
I've tried re-installing (and updating) Hitfilm, but I'm still getting the error message. Also... I did send the error report twice (I think), but I figured I wouldn't keep on sending the report every time I crash the program.
My computer specs are:
Model: Dell Studio Desktop (2009 model)
Operating System: Windows 7 64-Bit
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU - Q9400 @ 2.66GHz
Memory: 8 GB DDR2 RAM
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4850
That's about all I can think of at the moment. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Hendo
    Hendo Staff Posts: 160 Enthusiast
    Thanks for sending the error report; we'll take a look here. Is it possible to uninstall the Cineform Neoscene software and try HitFilm again?
  • Ectolight
    Ectolight Posts: 2
    edited November 2012
    Hello,
    Yesterday I discovered your software and I run into the same problem as jawajohnny described. I started with "Your first project: part1". When I drag the the second media into video track and at moment when it went to snap with previous media Hitfilm crashed. Another crash came too when I tried motion blur effect. My computer setup is:
    Model: HP Envy 15
    Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
    CPU: Intel Core(TM) i7 CPU Q720 @ 1.60 GHz
    RAM: 8 GB
    Video card: ATI Radeon HD 5830
  • Ady
    Ady Posts: 1,531 Enthusiast
    edited November 2012

Hello,
    Yesterday I discovered your software and I run into the same problem as jawajohnny described. I started with "Your first project: part1". When I drag the the second media into video track and at moment when it went to snap with previous media Hitfilm crashed. Another crash came too when I tried motion blur effect. My computer setup is:
    Model: HP Envy 15
    Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
    CPU: Intel Core(TM) i7 CPU Q720 @ 1.60 GHz
    RAM: 8 GB
    Video card: ATI Radeon HD 5830
    Hi,
    Can you try updating your graphics card drivers for me please, I have linked to the latest ones for your machine below:
    AMD Radeon HD 5830 Driver
    Thanks
    Ady

• Hi,
    Can you try updating your graphics card drivers for me please, I have linked to the latest ones for your machine below:
    AMD Radeon HD 5830 Driver
    Thanks
    Ady
    Hello,
    Very strange. Before posting the problem here I did update to the latest version as states in FAQ. Since you mentioned the driver again I became suspicious and with dxdiag tool checked the version and compared with release notes of the latest driver. I found that my video card driver wasn't updated. Through experimenting + uninstalling completely I found that I installed desktop version of driver which didn't install the latest driver at all, only updated the Catalyst manager. I downloaded the notebook version of driver and it helped. The crashing problem when dragging a media into timeline disappeared. Thank you again pointing me to the root cause. I hope this can help for users who have notebook with ATI Radeon video card, that they should choose the appropriate installation file.
    Regards
    Attila
  • hi, I have used hitfilm for about a year now and my computer just finished getting a new hardrive, the first thing i did was download hitfilm but when i hit new project it brings up "hitfilm has incountered an error and must exit"sign. what should i do? is it that this update to hitfilm has a bug or is it just me?
    please help
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,255 Staff
    Typically that error is caused by an overzealous antivirus application preventing HitFilm from running.  Check what antivirus is on your computer, try removing it temporarily and see if you can start the project ok then.  If that sorts you out, you may want to consider using Microsoft Security Essentials for your antivirus and security needs.  Its free, and less intrusive.
    If that doesn't sort you out, then I'd suggest contacting support.
This discussion has been closed.