Hey guys - check out my post apocalyptic short film using HitFilm!

tuckerkras12
tuckerkras12 Website User Posts: 64
edited October 2015 in Practical Filmmaking

@Triem23, let me know what you think?

Comments

• johnnyjelko
    johnnyjelko Website User Posts: 93

That was a nice amateur movie. With some pretty decent choreographed fight scenes! I actually scrubbed back a few times to rewatch! How long did filming and editing take? What camera(s) did you film on? I very much enjoyed the Mad World cover at the end too. Tessa(your sister or daughter I'm guessing?) did some great acting - very katniss like :)

some critiques:

I thought the movie had very nice camera angles although some of them seemed rushed or too long. Some of the dialogue shots would have been better shot closer up(or scaled in). And I thought the Assassin scene would have looked better if filmed in the morning or in the evening(it appears to be high noon due to over exposure) Still way better than anything I've done myself.  

Also but if your computer or the editors computer can handle it - bring the film over to DaVinci Resolve(it's free) and you can get more control over the color grading. IE. specifically lowering the gamma in sky or trees. 

And since I'm a fan of post apocalyptic films I look forward to another so be sure to keep us posted. 

• johnnyjelko

One other thing - You should really consider making a nice title picture for the thumbnail on youtube as you'll get more views that way.

• tuckerkras12
    tuckerkras12 Website User Posts: 64

Thanks for the comments Johnny.  The whole thing was very rushed, trying to get many people together at once is not easy especially  when this was apart of a film challenge.  This film was apart of End Of Days film challenge hosted by Trent Duncan, which was a lot of fun.  Very nicely run.  Anyways, it was filmed in one day.  I agree the assassin scene would have been awesome a little later in the day but, just not feasible at that time.  As far as the color grading goes, I am a huge fan of hitfilm's  cinestyle but it just didn't look right with this particular project for some reason. I just used hitfilm autocolor and it worked well, a little too vibrant and over exposure in some areas.  Editing took two weeks. The head chopping scene took four hours.  When he swung the blade you just couldn't see enough of it so I had to grab a transparent machete blade off of google, take it in to photshop, then export and keyframe it into hitfilm.  That took some time.  The girl who sung Mad World is Ashely Page and she was 16 yrs old.  She was really amazing!  Tessa was my daughterand she did a good job, thanks for your feedback. 

• johnnyjelko

one day of filming? Then all I can say is B R A V O

I've always thought about trying to enter a film challenge like that but never have. Glad you got as many people and wardrobe for it as you did! And good luck in the challenge.