How to improve your green screen-ing

MichaelJames
MichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
edited October 2015 in Practical Filmmaking

I saw this on No Film School and thought it would be useful and maybe inspire some new hitfilm features that involve scopes and chrome keying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=309&v=Z07lKQg00Bg

Comments

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,976 Ambassador

@MichaelJames Thanks for that, very technical breakdown. I have posted the start of the video URL again becuase yours seems to be about halfway in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Z07lKQg00Bg

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,997 Ambassador

Excellent explanation of why you need scopes.  Back in the day we would spend a great deal of time matching analog monitors to color bars before an edit or going to air.

The advent of "digital" video, progressive scan flat panels and computer editing in general has lent a false sense of "Aw, its digital . . .the color can't be off.  Don't even need to worry about levels."  

But I've got two flat panels in front of me right now that don't show the same color and if I put my video up on my "digital" TV it looks different there, too.  

Without scopes and matching to color bars, you are flying blind.  Even in the digital world.   The basics of matching to bars still apply.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,956 Ambassador
    edited October 2015

Bars and scopes are vitally important as most monitors sold these days don't actually reproduce the full NTSC color range, much less any wider gamut. Most LCD panels reproduce about 60% of the NTSC gamut (my current laptop, I spent an extra $300 for a monitor that reproduces 95% NTSC). 

This means, even a calibrated monitor is probably wrong. 

And Zebras are very very important while shooting as well. 

@Stargazer54 ah, yes, the days of blue gun knob twiddling are long gone, but wasn't it lovely having mostly accurate color? 

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,997 Ambassador

Yep.  Calibrated tools give the best results.

• Kadri
    Kadri Website User Posts: 171
    edited October 2015

Regarding NTSC and accurate color,  i remember the first time i read "Never Twice the Same Color"

• MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast

Scopes... and a way to work in multiple color spaces... and output to multiple color spaces.  How about a "Fxhome sanctioned" 3rd party plugin built for that?

• RehanWasti
    RehanWasti Website User Posts: 12 Just Starting Out

Good info. Thanks.

• movieartist
    movieartist Website User Posts: 12

Hi, a great tool to make more better green screen movies. It works fine.

Green Screener