Can HitFilm import Cinema 4D scenes?

orangepeelorangepeel Website User Posts: 87
edited September 2015 in Post-production techniques

i've got cinema 4d, and was watching Andrew Kramer's tutorial on the 3d Ledge. He talks about exporting the scene (with different passes eg. ambient occlusion) from 3ds max into after effects and it turns out like a baked 3d model. Also later in the tutorial he shows how to do the same thing in cinema4d , which then can be exported into after effects. I was wondering if Hitfilm could somehow have the same capability to import cinema 4d scenes? 

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,275 Ambassador

Well. Here's your "yes, but no" answer. 

In terms of the Cinema 4D render passes and compositing, yes, Hitfilm can do this--the C4D passes are just 2D videobafter export, so all the layering and blending is basic compositing. The problem with this example is Hitfilm has no way to export the tracking data to C4D to set up the 3D move. 

That said, this was a pre-Element 3D tutorial. These days, Kramer would do this entire shot in AE, and, if you're on HF3 Pro, or on HF3 Express with the 3D model pack, so can you. Instead of going out to C4D you can load your models into Hitfilm, reposition your building so the roof ledge is at the "foot track" level and just light in Hitfilm. 

So, to recap, yes, you can combine rendered passes in C4D, but, since you can't export Hitfilm tracking data to C4D tracking video to feed position data won't work. Now, I am not C4D literate, but, if C4D can export it's camera data to a .MA file, you could animate in C4D, render those passes and export the camera to HF for particles and other elements. 

• orangepeelorangepeel Website User Posts: 87

so using Hitfilm if I didn't want to import the models directly into the software I would have to try and replicate the camera move in C4D, render it out as a video file with different passes, and then import and composite that render into hit film

• orangepeelorangepeel Website User Posts: 87

since Hitfilm doesn't export the camera data to C4D

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,275 Ambassador

Pretty much.