Graymotion's Zone

Comments

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,145 Expert

Cool,

been meaning to explain how I get the viewport samples to fill in the gaps of missed hits from the Cycles Monte Carlo path tracing.

Whoops got distracted watching the Flash on Netflix.

but yeah, I've got a new Filmer branch at the moment, tryin' to sync a blue noise sampling method and also tryin to get a bit more render speed out of Cycles. Have ideas... workin on em'. 😜 💡

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,584 Enthusiast

@spydurhank Frank,

How the heck do I bake a bump map? I'm brain dead..

*** The Ethereum blockchain design around the inner part of the coin is currently using a .png in the Normals slot

cc: @FlyingBanana78 , @tddavis

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,145 Expert

Is your png a Normal map or is it a black and white image?

• GrayMotion
    edited June 25

Image. Black (grey) on transparent

• spydurhank

Open it in any image editor.

Add a white background and place it below the png image.

You can use any number of methods to darken the Grey to black... like "brightness & contrast", "Curves" or "levels"

Save that image out. Black and White is okay-ish for a bump map. The larger the image, the cleaner the bump will look.

• FlyingBanana78
    FlyingBanana78 Website User Posts: 472 Enthusiast

@GrayMotion as expected, @spydurhank beat me to it. I tend to do it similar. I will export the uv into a alpha supported drawing software. Then the layer above I can now draw and create my own style of bump/roughness/and metallic details export those individual layers out at a higher size and quality then use that. That's kind of the beauty of any texture other than a diffuse, subsurface, or normal map, all the rest will just use grey scale information. Fake scratches just go nuts with a brush that you like and tada you now have a map for scratches and imperfections on the surface. Nodes are awesome to mix with other nodes and get great results to bake once the material is complete so it can be exported for use with other softwares. As far as baking out an actual bump map in blender though only way I know of is using a lot of geometry to start with and a multires modifier with a displacement modifier, then creating a new image to bake the info to in cycles experimental mode the bake displacement option is now available to be selected. It will then bake out your info providing you have you object selected and your image texture you created selected as well. ( I am sure at this point I am just rambling as I can't seem to sleep cause of this medication) But as you can tell the latter method is a lot more involved and often times doesn't yield as clean and nice results as just creating your own textures from scratch.

P.S. Hope I didn't fry anyones brains that just read all that.

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,990 Moderator
    edited June 25

I may all wrong here but I think you can bake out a normal map from cycles Blender. Testing right now and if it works I'll try and do a screen cap this evening of the process if anyone is interested.

Edit: Threw a vornoi texture into a displacement node on a cube switched to cycles and got this for a normal bake.

• GrayMotion
    edited June 30

There is no way that I can find to get true environment lighting in a 3D setting with Hitfilm. Up is down Down is up. If you could....Please explain to me why the environment map is reflected as an inverted image with Hitfilm Pro's native environment map @Triem23 @spydurhank @TheBenNorris

Hitfilm Native

Hitfilm/E3D

• tddavis

@GrayMotion It's like Hitfilm Native is treating it as a reflection map for water surfaces and such and E3D sees it as an HDRI sort of thang?? But I have zero clue what I am babbling about so I'll let the big boys sort it out, and lay here on the porch.🙂

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,784 Ambassador

Greg, I'm not getting the same results as you are. If I add in an Environment Map it's not reversed on the X-axis. It IS rotated 180-degrees from where it should be on the Y-axis, but that dates back awhile. I've been in the habit of pre-comping my environment map and using the 360-degree transform to rotate the reflection into place for awhile now. Then I use a different instance of the wrap for my camera view. Consider the three images below.

This image uses the background image - which is embedded in a comp shot - as the environment wrap. No light has been added to the scene and the background image is NOT using the 360-degree viewer effect so you can see the entire image. As you can see the guy with the camera at the left of the BG is also kind of reflecting on the left edge of the sphere. This isn't correct, as we should see him reflected in the sphere.

Same image, but I've turned on the 360-degree viewer on the background.

And in THIS image I've used the 360-degree Transform effect on my embedded environment wrap comp to rotate the background 180 degrees on Y. Now I have my correct reflection with the camera op grinning at us in the sphere.

So, my Windows 10 PC with Nvidia 2060 has a glitch with environment wraps, but it's a glitch I've known about for awhile and I think I've already filed a bug report on it. Greg, you're getting a glitch with the wrap, but it's a totally different glitch where your x-axis is off by 180 degrees.

Try pre-comping your environment map layer and, in the pre-comp, add the 360-degree Viewer effect and rotate 180 degrees on X. Let's see if that fixes your reflection. That's another data point for the devs, because whatever's wrong it's affecting our renders in a different way.

• spydurhank

Hey Greg @GrayMotion ... I'll answer your actual question. 😀 but first, a question or two for you. 😀

Is your sphere a 3D object from a 3D app or is it generated in Hitfilm?

Can we see your "Specular Reflectivity" and "Refraction Amount" settings in the 3D model import dialogue? To me it looks like you have your Specular Reflectivity turned all the way down and your refraction amount turned all the way up.

Easiest for me is if you could walk me through your proccess in a video. Try to shoot one then I can tell you for sure. 😀

@tddavis is correct... The "Refraction Amount" although actually has several user cases, it's meant to simulate refracted reflections in liquids. In Hitfilm it can be used as a hack for bounce lighting among other kinds of really cool things.

Remember... it's all reflections.

Another vid on Hitfilm Shaders. These shaders are new in Hitfilm but I've worked with the same types of shaders for years... all the way back before Hitfilm ultimate 2.

Here I have a full sphere and half a sphere.

The first pic is all spec reflectivity with no refraction amount but if you look in the Concavity of the half sphere. You'll see that the reflection is turned upside down, which is what you would see in any concave surface... like a spoon, but you'll also see this in liquid bubbles and things of that nature. 😀

This last pic has both spec reflective and refraction amount turned up all the way. You can see the image inverted upon itself.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,784 Ambassador

@spydurhank good catch that Greg might have reversed his reflection and refraction.

• GrayMotion
    edited July 1

Well well well...I guess I need to keep a better eye on Master @tddavis

@spydurhank and @Triem23 You two guys are extremely intelligent individuals. I gave you next to no information on how I used the shader's but yet both of you, especially Eagle Eye Frank, deduced that I was confused and indeed reversed reflection and refraction.

Mike, I use to pre-comp the Background and for the life of me I don't know why I stopped. Looking back through the fog of age I probably raised this question before and just plain forgot the answer and the workflow...jeez

What was that about Trippin' in Court? Bailiff. Whack his pee pee!

Frank, thank you for helping out a Senior Citizen in a "Momentary Lapse of Reason" 😉

• Triem23

@GrayMotion I take no credit for seeing the swapped reflection/refraction. That was all @spydurhank .

• spydurhank

Not a problem @GrayMotion, 😀

Everything that I needed to know was provided by your posted pics and when you said this... " Up is down Down is up". 😀

Yeah refractions, asides from being upside down are duller reflections with less intensity than the specular reflectivity so they'll look darker-ish. Turn the Refraction amount down pretty low if and when using Specular Reflectivity. It'll add a little color to shadowed areas so that shadows aren't "Too Dark". 😀

You just mistook the "Refraction Amount" setting as a setting for an Environment map. No big deal dude. 😀

You gave me the correct info anyway so I didn't really have to make a guess... good thing too because I don't like guessing. Guessing is really boring... knowing the obvious answer right away is much better. 🤑

• GrayMotion

Ok great people of the Hitfilm community. I made a little video explaining what I would like to see in Hitfilm as far as environmental lighting and controls goes (IBL). I can't put it into words like the fine people in this forum so I thought this would be the best way to convey my thoughts. A note here: I might have overlooked HF's 360 Layer option for environment controls when I said "Hitfilm doesn't have anything like this". My apologies.

So what you think @Triem23 @spydurhank @tddavis @Stargazer54 @FilmSensei and anybody else lurking in on this post. Is my Enhancement request the same as your's Mike? If so I can remove the request and ask all that upvoted that request to upvote yours.

Another thought...Franks last response(s) to reflection/refraction might have already showed Environmental lighting and controls and I just haven't made the connection yet. A fault of my own to be sure.

• spydurhank
  • FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,052 Ambassador

Nice Greg! I agree with you... this is an area that could use improvement.

I have a related question, though, that maybe one of you could answer... In the "EnvironmentMaps" Folder under the HitFilm Program Folder, you find a bunch of Environment Maps (See below). Is the user able to choose the environment map in the Map Importer? If not, what are these maps for?

• GrayMotion
    edited July 7

@FilmSensei Yep. I found those too as well as @Triem23 . Actually his and my [Enhanced] request address these images.

Best guess is the maps were there from the beginning but no controls were added to use hem. The name "container" is what Hitfilm is using it appears. If you rename any of the other images to "container" then that environment would be used inside the 3D Import Module. They are very small images too. The hope is to get actually background plates into the importer for more proper control over the textures and lighting to more mach the scene environment. My lil video goes farther than that though but not too far off Mikes request (I dont think). We'll see...

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,052 Ambassador

@GrayMotion That's sort of what I figured.

I think what you are asking for is very reasonable. It is super hard to dial in the material settings when you can't see how the materials look until after you've clicked OK and dropped the model into the scene.

• GrayMotion
    edited July 18

Now first - I'd never use a black/blue pen to put marking trackers on a green background...but here is an example of someone who did...

After keying....

Now I'm usually smarter than your average Bear...but evidently not today. Is there a way to key out those markers without resorting to tracking a mocha plate and attaching it or the use of clone stamp to hide them?

• FilmSensei
    edited July 17

Since you have the track, you should be able to parent a plane to it and use a Set Matte Effect to clean up the rest.

• GrayMotion

@FilmSensei Yep...that's what I thought about too...but does not work in this particular situation..... least wise not for this foolish ole man 🤪 . I ended up tracking a green plane over the original card , re-rendered and re-imported the footage. A "hack" 👍

This is an attempt at kinda-sorta a 3D Player Card....you remember the baseball cards we got out of the Raisin Bran Box back in the day? The images are stacked in 3D space inside another comp under the keyed card footage:

• GrayMotion
    edited July 18

<duplicate removed by OP>

• tddavis

@GrayMotion I think I accomplished what you requested. Let me know if I messed up.

• GrayMotion
  • GrayMotion
    edited August 10

@philipwesson @Triem23

Element 3D "Black Out"

Phil, This is a follow up to the ticket I submitted the other day. It is hard to catch the "culprit" in action but I did manage to catch the little rascal. The "black-out happens very frequently no matter if the scene has one model or 50. I also caught another critter that was un-expected...calling it "Layer Display Bye Bye". Excuse vid quality. OBS is very unfriendly to me on the PC when it comes to clarity.

<video removed by OP>

Mike - I tagged you just so you are in the known about this error in general. I know you said you dont look at the "Show Off" category much but hopefully you stop in this time. If you do stop in could I get you to comment on the pasted post below. It has to do with IBL and Environment controls we talked about in the Requested Feature category ...please.

• GrayMotion
    edited August 10

@spydurhank Frank,

I felt like a real idiot last week when I couldn't show you my mo2/Motion 5 work flow regarding materials so I went back and worked up a title example to kinda save face. I guess I've been too long in iClone , Blender and Hitfilm...darn near forgot half the things I thought I knew in Motion. My apologizes.

Might as well add this too. A little something I did with Filmer, Hitfilm Pro, Element 3D and a bit of AI voice from Replica Studios

• Triem23

"...darn near forgot half the things I thought I knew in Motion. My apologizes."

Happens any time I go back into software I haven't used in awhile!

• GrayMotion
    edited August 17

Now this is cool. 👍 👍

Adobe has released a FREE Substance 3D add-on for Blender (beta) that enables the use of Substance 3D materials directly in Blender.

@spydurhank @FlyingBanana78 @tddavis

So far no apparent problems in Filmer Frank