Graymotion's Zone

1151617181921ยป

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,974 Ambassador

@GrayMotion yeah, as soon as I saw what @YPAnimations had built I totally knew you were going to use a variation of it.

@spydurhank sanity check me here. For Greg's sign, one the scale and aspect ratio are set, Greg should be able to use a paint program to make "field O' spheres (soft round brush strokes) in grayscale (a height map) to covert to a normal map to act as the surface of the bulbs.

Then YP's tricks to set up the diffuse (emission?) textures.

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,948 Ambassador

Hey Mike @Triem23 , sure you could do that with no problem. Just either bake out some UVs or bake out a color texture... you just need something for reference to use in his paint program or image editor... he could even do it in Hitfilm if he really wanted.

Ah, I would build a 3D led light/bulb or whatever it is called instead of painting textures for this effect. It is a lot easier and much more powerful as it'll give you simpler solutions to achieve other effects.

Depending on what you're going for, Just saying because I'm building a 3D screen with glass

If realism, then build the actual LED light, should be simple as it can be one color... in this case choose White.

If no realism is required then, just add a new mesh/plane. Add a subdivision modifier and increase the subdivisions till the mesh/plane warps into a flat circle. Apply the subdivision modifier.

The Frame for the monitor gets a material.

The screen gets a Material.

The LED lights get a material.

3 materials = 3 localized masks for the material overrides. :)

Project the LEDs UVs from view while in Edit mode. This will make it a bazillion times easier to animate with the override materials in Hitfilm.

Add an array modifier for the X ratio and another array modifier for the Y ratio,

Use the same "Simple deform " trick to bend the LED arrays with the 3D screen.

In Blender apply the Modifiers then export... or duplicate the mesh and apply the mods on the copy then export it. This way you have a copy with live modifiers.

Drop it into Hitfilm and do the usual stuff.

Anyway... all kinds of really cool ways to do this... prolly another quick video? :)

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,472 Enthusiast
    edited January 20

Zooooooom!!! Wooooosh! The overwhelming sound of Frank going over my head. ( I think???)

I have to refrain from reading posts so early in the morning before at least 5 cups of coffeeee!

Since it's my B-Day today I better get busy and give myself a sense of accomplish (or something). As of so far my "screen" is rough and I should get it polished up a lil bit eh? Enough fooling around. FOCUS!

prolly another quick video?

Uh, wouldn't hurt me none ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,004 Ambassador
  • CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,197 Ambassador

@GrayMotion Happy birthday! ๐ŸŽ‚

• GrayMotion

Ok Frank..I told you I'd give it back. The vector wasn't built exactly right thus it didn't extrude exactly right...whites extrude blacks flatten - Thanks for the test asset. I will remove upon request. ๐Ÿ––

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,539 Moderator

@GrayMotion Holy Spitballs!!! That is incredible!

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,948 Ambassador

Just took a second to go online and saw this...

Dude... Greg... uh... that's pretty damned awesome!!! :)

That came out great. :)

I have a 3D object of my logo as well. :)

• GrayMotion

The wife said..." Why did you use the same music?" I looked at her like "what??? I guess I used the same music a few videos ago. God...the age thing is tough.

@tddavis Motion 5/ FCPX/mO2 absolutely rocks for motion graphics dont it?!? The scenes are all stock from MotionVFX so I cannot take credit for design but had a blast using OwMyCGI's vector image and playing around. I really like the Cyberpunk scene at the end too...which has also contributed to my "screen" building exercise from Blender<>Hitfilm that I've been getting help from Frank with. ๐Ÿ‘

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,004 Ambassador

@GrayMotion That is some cool sh+t!

• DataDesign
    DataDesign Website User Posts: 482 Enthusiast
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,974 Ambassador

Happy Belated and awesome testvid!

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,539 Moderator

@GrayMotion I wondered what you used to make that. Thanks for listing them. Can't use any Mac programs sadly, but would love to.

• GrayMotion
    edited January 23

@tddavis There is nothing from stopping someone from doing the exact same style of motion animation is Hitfilm. You have all the tools necessary. There is Blender to turn you SVG into a model (or text to model) , make primitive assets like cubes, triangles, cones, rings, grates, pipes, floors, etc, etc, etc. With the new shader options in the Hitfilm 3D module you can get a much more stylistic materials. The metal and illumination shaders slots bring a lot to the table.

Motion/FCPX use what is called an instancer and replicator. While these are advanced tools specific to motion graphics animation Hitfilm has the particular simulator that can use animated 3d objects and arrays to get the wanted animation.

Camera moves: Same thing. 3D Nulls ( 3Dpoints) and a Camera(s) is all you need and Hitfilm gives you the ability to have as many as you want.

Final Grading: Again Hitfilm has DoF on the Camera, motion blur, aberration, bloom (glow), dirt (lens), vignette and distortion.

Frankly I'm surprised none of the motion graphics folks on the forums have done title intros with 3D models, text and the particle sim. Must not be top of the list for anyone. I've shown a few that I've done with Element but never broke them down. To be honest there are tons of E3D tutorials on the Tub that already cover the techniques. No use re-inventing the wheel. Every one of the techniques can be replicated with Hitfilm Pro and the Element plugin. Really the only wheel not "invented" yet is using Hitfilm tools to do 3D graphics animations. Might have to work on that in the future.

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,197 Ambassador

Frankly I'm surprised none of the motion graphics folks on the forums have done title intros with 3D models, text and the particle sim. Must not be top of the list for anyone.

I started out messing with 3D animation using Lightwave over 20 years ago, and while I wanted to play with character animation, the tools just weren't up to par, so I found myself doing a lot of flying logos, spaceships, etc. At the time, I was having fun because virtually any form of animation grabbed me back then. After I started working as a character animator a few years later, my interest in non-character stuff waned pretty quickly. But after several more years, character animation became a major source of stress, so I just stepped away from all animation for quite a while. I was still at the same studio for another four years, but I shifted gears to focus on programming and tool development during that time.

Only after I discovered HitFilm in 2015 did I gain an interest in playing with 2D motion graphics, but I had (and still have) no desire to get back into 3D work. Don't get me wrong, I can definitely appreciate well-executed 3D titles, but it's a different design and thought process than 2D motion graphics, not to mention being more time-consuming if you really want to make them look good. Working in 2D still feels both challenging and fun, but I don't see the fun in doing 3D, at least not right now. Maybe the interest will come back someday, maybe it won't. I'm not in any rush to try.

• Andersen01498
    Andersen01498 Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 980 Enthusiast

"Frankly I'm surprised none of the motion graphics folks on the forums have done title intros with 3D models, text and the particle sim. Must not be top of the list for anyone."

I think the main reason is that the tool in HF are not there yet. AE is so nice in the sense it works well with other programs like Illustrator and photoshop that I use a lot. Its a pain to use HF for titles that you know that your artwork will become pixelated if you bring it into HF. And personally, the camera controls in HF are very lacking compared to AE. It doesn't play well with other software. From day 1 when I stepped into HF, the cameras have been a real turn off for me. I can say that for the lights too. The controls are not very intuitive at times. Thats just my take on things. :)

• GrayMotion
    edited January 27

Worked on my screen only (no body yet as the body is actually planned to be a building corner) a bit. A few different shapes from 60 degrees, -60 degrees to 160 degrees.

Made the screen material out of videos and the dot matrix magic via @YPAnimations short little tutorial.

• spydurhank
  • Triem23

Can't wait to see it in the full scene.

• GrayMotion

This is something pretty cool. If you use Unreal and you'd like to see how a project is put together then this is for you.

Pick it apart and see what makes it tick. Free to use inside Unreal Engined based products.

Meerkat Demo

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/learn/meerkat-demo?sessionInvalidated=true

If you're adventurous you can even add your own camera moves to the project like this guy did.

Cinematic Camera Work

• DataDesign
    DataDesign Website User Posts: 482 Enthusiast

@GrayMotion

I found this free course on Udemy for creating a moveable camera rig. Thought of this post.

https://www.udemy.com/course/ue4movabecamerasystem/

• GrayMotion

Mysterious shadows Pro 16

Where do you think the shadows being generated from when all shadow properties are disabled?

Model: https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/obot-cute-robot-challenge-17fe944bd57941cabb698fe9d0a4f3c2

• CleverTagline
    edited January 30

@GrayMotion The shadow controls on lights affect cast shadows, but those aren't cast shadows. That's just a result of the light not hitting certain parts of the model based on the light's position. It's kind of like the dark side of the moon. It's not dark because the sun is casting a shadow. It's just dark because it's not in the path of the sun's light. Unlike the dark side of the moon, those parts of your model aren't totally black because you do have at least one other light in the scene that hits them. If you turn off your other light(s), they'd likely be black where the light you're moving isn't hitting them.

• Triem23

Side note - disabling lights/reflections doesn't quite work as it should diffuse/spec reflections from Environment Maps still show.

I've raised this to the devs, so they should already know about it.

• GrayMotion

Yea. It appears just to be the different format of the model. I've never noticed how black and sharp the "dark side" is until a put 2 versions side-by-side

• GrayMotion
    edited January 31

Calling all hardware gurus.

Is it possible (feasible) to mix a GTX 1070 Founders Edition with the RTX 3000 series Nvidia?

How can I find out power consumption required? I currently have a 750w EVGA Supernova

If I have a GTX 1070 can I swap to a RTX 3080 without changing motherboard? (ASUS Z170-AR)

Confused puppy

• FlyingBanana78
    FlyingBanana78 Website User Posts: 434 Enthusiast

@GrayMotion

There are a couple sites that I will put here that will give you an idea of what power is recommended. But I do believe that the RTX 3080 is a power hungry monster so not sure if using it along with the 1070 on your existing PSU would keep your pc from wanting a time out or go on strike. It also all depends on how many additional peripherals you have hooked up including monitor/s usb devices, drives, ram, keyboard, and LED lighting. But here are the sites it it may help. Looks as though your motherboard supports multiple cards so that is a plus.

Keep in mind also that I haven't built a PC in a long long time and I am sure others will have other suggestions as well.

• GrayMotion
    edited February 1

@FlyingBanana78 Very cool!.I am now more educated than when I first woke up toady! ๐Ÿ‘

Out of all the links you provided there wasn't anywhere to plugin the Hydro Series Liquid CPU cooler I have with two 120mm fans/pump so I just used the two fans .BTW - Looks like a didn't add the case fan but cant draw much more than the 2 listed. Oh, and I backed off the 3080...power hog as you mentioned... and went with a 2070. Looks like I have plenty of power to spare (225-300 watts) with 750 watts (might not be totally acurate but I'm assuming close). Now the trick is finding a RTX 2070.

• FlyingBanana78
    FlyingBanana78 Website User Posts: 434 Enthusiast

@GrayMotion yeah that 3080 is like 300w just in itself so that combined with your 1070 would be a whole lotta go juice ;) I have been watching them closely as well but prices are insane right now and not to mention availability as well. The 1070s are still pretty insanely priced considering how old they are in comparison to the rtx series cards. Maybe by Christmas time they will have availability all worked out and supposedly they are going to be revamping the 3070 and at a lower price point, I might do something around then if that is the case but until then I am still just firing on the ole trusty single 1070 myself. And additional info if you do dual gpu's don't run them in SLI. I am not sure if Hitfilm even supports or benefits from it. And Blender doesn't either as you can just select both cards for rendering and skip the need for the SLI bridge.