Any way to overcome the 200 pixel feather limit on masks?

(apart from 'set matte' which actually is outside the mask system altogether)

Typing a higher number into the box doesn't work. 200 pixels isn't enough, especially working in 4K. Why is there a limit at all?

Thinking about it, do you know what would be cool - being able to use effects on the mask layer. I know there is 'set matte' for this kind of stuff, but if you are going to have a dedicated mask system then you might as well do it right, right? ;)

Comments

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

I would agree that the 200px limit seems quite arbitrary. Adequate for most things but once I certainly wished for more. There is always that one thing that comes up where some arbitrary limit like that can hurt.

I have found I get the softest mask by using Both with the max feather.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,280 Ambassador

Agreed that the 200px limit is a bit arbitrary. Disgaree that a layer's Mask properties should have it's own FX stack. I believe layer masks are vectors. Giving them an effects stack requires pixilization, then sending out to effects, which could lead to "grain" in the mask edges, and would probably slow down the render  engine. To put effects on masks and mattes, then use an external layer and Set Matte effect. 

• skitchyskitchy Website User Posts: 43
    edited September 2015

But using 'set matte' has the exact same drawbacks that you mentioned. An external layer is a bunch of pixels. It would be a lot easier and a cleaner workflow if we could use effects on masks directly.

That's another matter though. My main issue is with the 200 pixel limit. It isn't enough, and is seemingly arbitrary.

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

You can create mattes internally - create a white plane, mask it appropriately, add whatever effects you want and pre-comp it, then use that as the matte courtesy of set matte.

I already said that.

Please address the 200 pixel feather issue.

Also, using a separate comp as a matte has a *major* drawback - you can't see the effect that the matte is having while altering it. You only see the matte itself. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that you can only view the result of the comp that is currently selected. So you basically have to guess and do a lot of switching back and forth between comps.

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

That is correct.

The 200 pixel limit is logged and is something we will be looking at. As people move towards higher resolution projects it's only going to become more of an issue.