Film Look or Cinematic Look

How do you make your video have a Film Look in hitFilm3 Pro?

Comments

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast

Well, that is a very vague question.

For starters, there's the cine style effect, which actually does a lot of things ad once, like applying an S-curve, shift your colors, add a vignette, film grain and some letterboxing all to make the video look more cinematic. Of course you can do all that yourself with the appropriate effects if you want finer control. Also, a lot of the "Film look" comes already while shooting - basic rules of cinematography and color choice can't simply be made up in post, you have to put some thought into the shots before you get the camera rolling.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador

As Robin stated, there's a lot of ways to go about it. One thing to remember is to shoot and edit 24p. There's a real difference in motion quality between 24, 25, 30 and 60 fps. 24 will be more "filmic" right away. 

Otherwise, well, Hitfilm has tons of grading options to tune. 

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,863 Ambassador

@Triem23 interesting comment on the 24fps I think my video cam defaults at 29fps so maybe I could try that. See what happens.

@Bobdog Footage source quality can have a big impact on the look of the final product, not that shacky cam films havn't been hits (Blaire Witch) but have stable and sweeping shots helps sell the viewer that this is a film not just a home video. Of course some movement shots can be done in HF using the 3d camera. Otherwise get that triod out and stablise those shots somehow.

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,240 Staff

A lot of what we see as cinematic look comes down to how you light your shots, the camera settings you use to control depth of field and motion blur, and the framing and camera movement, as Andy001z mentioned. There are things that can be done in post as well, with grading and whatnot, but like Robin said, the process of getting that look starts before the camera is rolling.

Use a wide aperture to get a shallow depth of field, so your subject is separated from the background, and set your shutter speed to double your framerate for cinematic motion blur. So for 24fps, use a shutter speed of 1/48 or 1/50 (most cameras don't have a 1/48 option)

• FilmTechFilmTech Website User Posts: 388

Sadly my camera only shoots 60fps :( when I try do 30fps it has some weird bars and stuff in the video...