Composite Shot time relative to Editor timeline

AlecAlec Website User Posts: 22

Hi there.

Maybe this functionality exists and I can't find it.
I oftentimes find myself wanting to time out an effect in a composite shot based on  something going on in the editor -- some lines of VO, for example -- and while I can look at the timeline in the editor and measure the amount of time from the beginning of the composite shot to the current editor timeline is, I'd like to have an easy way to show that value on the composite shot clip itself. Is that possible already? That would help speed this specific workflow by decreasing the iterations required to get more precise timing. If it's not available, I'd like to add that as a feature request.

Thanks,

Alec

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff

Just drop the video (or audio) file containing the VO into your composite shot, under everything else. Or, create the composite shot by right-clicking the file containing the audio, and Make Composite Shot, so it is already in place when you start.

• AlecAlec Website User Posts: 22

Thanks for the quick reply, Axel. The method you suggest would work great if both my audio tracks and video clips were set, but I often find myself modifying the audio and video -- chopping it up -- in ways that make working exclusively in the composite shot less efficient. Keeping everything in sync would be difficult. I like to keep my audio & video tracks, including composite shots, separate so that I can get the most out of the efficiencies of both the main editor and composite shot editor.

• kdrekdre Website User Posts: 11 Just Starting Out

I would also be happy to see a feature like this. I just finnished a short "teaser" video for the day before the phd-defence of a colleague and missed this feature on several occasions.

If I place the cursor somewhere in the editor and switch to a composite shot that lies under the cursor then the cursor in the composite shot should be synchronized to the cursor in the editor.

• MarginalRayMarginalRay Website User Posts: 2
    edited July 2017

I experimented many video editors during these last 20 years, freeware (mostly Linux software), but also Avid or Adobe stuff, and some Mac apps.

Hitfilm could become a new reference, if composite shots would be time synchronized to the editor. But they are not, and that occurs a huge loss of time, and makes Hitfilm unusable for professional needs. Really unacceptable. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,281 Ambassador

What do mean "unsynchronized?" The purpose of a comp shot is to generate a media clip for an editor timeline, not as a secondary timeline. 

For the record, I've made my living for the last twenty years in video, ten of those in broadcast TV, and five of those using Hitfilm for Broadcast graphics. Of course I'm small scale, but the VFX house for Agents of SHIELD uses Hitfilm in previz, and so does the LA office of The Mill. Hitfilm is more than suitable for "professional" use. There are other examples. Andrew Probert--a man who designed Enterprise-D and the Back to the Future Delorean? He's a Hitfilm user. 

Sorry, but when someone comes in and says "lack of single feature makes >program< useless," that person usually knows not of which they speak. Evidence, one low-end guy making his living in Hitfilm, along two multinational studios, and one legendary designer (among others) who are certainly professionals. :-) 

edited July 2017

"Low-end guy."..  Well. What does it mean ? An insult ?...My bad english...

I'm not a professionnal in video  editing, but use video software for professionnal and home needs, as most of your clients (if you're just running after "multinational studios", let us know, and forget the "express" version of Hitfilm).

I can't loose precious time after having used keyframes in the comp shot. KDR wrote in a previous post : "If I place the cursor somewhere in the editor and switch to a composite shot that lies under the cursor then the cursor in the composite shot should be synchronized to the cursor in the editor". 

I don't have this problem in Avid Composer First, in NCH Express Animate or even in an old version of Adobe Premiere.

I didn't say Hitfilm (I started with the free version) is a bad product. I said it could become a reference. But this synchro issue is a reality that you should consider in a very different way you did it in your contemptuous

answer.

edited July 2017
    You censured my answer ?
    Uninstalled. Much time loss with comp shot, several crashes, arrogant moderator...
    Avid Media composer First (free) is my tip.
    Good by Hitfilm. I don't diserve you.

• Bloodsong13TBloodsong13T Website User Posts: 29

back to the original discussion...

different applications of video editing have different needs.  as a purely amateur music video maker, i, too, would dearly LOVE an option like this.

in vegas 10 (as an example), when I have a video clip open in its little effect or pan/crop window, there's a button i can press to synchronize the scrubber there to the main scrubber.

so if i want the effect right on the downbeat, i can play through the main video, pause on the downbeat, then look in the effect window and the scrubber there is right where i need my keyframe.  (instead of at the start of the clip, or  where i last left it,  which is what happens when the synchronize button is not pressed.)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,281 Ambassador

@MarginalRay

For the record, Moderators don't work for FXHOME. We're just users with some minor editing ability in the forums. 

I've had a private conversation with Staff, and, while I stand by the content of what I said, I could have been much less aggressive in tone and probably phrased things in a way where you'd not take offense. 

So, my apologies. 

Staff indicated they weren't certain what feature you were asking for, so, to help you communicate with them, what you want is, if you exit a Composite Shot for the Editor Timeline you want the playhead to snap to a position that corresponds to where the playhead was in the comp, correct? An issue here would arise if a Composite Shot is used more than once in an editor timeline (examples: looping backgrounds or logo/bug overlays). 

@Bloodsong13t that's a nice feature in Vegas (usually) , but probably not easy to duplicate in the Hitfilm workflow, since Vegas is keeping every in a single timeline. As an inexact metaphor you can think of a Composite Shot in Hitfilm as a nested project in Vegas. Editing a nested project in Vegas requires opening the nest in a second instance of Vegas and saving it out, at which point it updates in the original instance. Or, like bringing an Ae comp into Premiere where you still have to edit in Ae to see changes in Premiere. While Hitfilm allows instant switching between modules the Editor Timeline and Composite Shot have some very different things going on. I'm not certain it's feasible. Also the aforementioned question of "what if you're using more than one instance of a Comp?" 

Basically, in Hitfilm the Editor Timeline is for assembly of clips. Comp Shots are where you complete complex animation to create a clip for the Editor. 

• CowboyBobCowboyBob Website User Posts: 105

@Triem23, I think you have the effect backward. I believe the users were suggesting a way for the playhead position in the Editor Timeline to be reflected in the composite shot. 

@CowboyBob Entirely possible. :-)

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,868 Ambassador

@Triem23 and @CowboyBob I would second that thought, I have found that when editing my work and jumping into a composit shot the playhead moves to the begining of the composit timeline. It would be nice if it followed the playhead position from the editor.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

Either way you want to go on this one I have to say I agree with @Triem23. I'm just not sure how this would be implemented or how well it would work within the HitFilm workflow. 

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

Don't see the problem implementing this in a very simplistic way. If the playhead is on a comp and you select it by clicking on it on the timeline: move the playhead to the correct position in the comp.

Want to make it non-surprising? Hold down SHIFT/CTRL/ALT, or whatever is free as you click on it on the timeline to carry the position into the comp, otherwise: keep the comp's original position.

All other occasions? Do nothing. That's nothing as in: don't move it to the beginning if I'd left it somewhere else in the comp and then went into one or other comps. Each comp should retain its own playhead position unless you specifically go there via the Editor Timeline.

Can't see the comp's position going back to the Editor as clips could be cropped so the position would have to be constrained to the margins of the section used in the Editor, which might get weird.