When I put anything into any tracks I get huge amounts of lag

JoeParJoePar Website User Posts: 4

Hey everyone!

I was not sure if this would be in the issue reporting tab, because it is in my film. But the problem has just started happening recently. A couple of days ago I opened HitFilm 3 express preparing to edit a video, but it took a long time to open the video and audio in their tracks. But I soon realized that this was not just happening for the video files, but any file i tried to put into the tracks. The issue is still occurring and I am not sure how to fix it. The only thing that I could think that is making it occur, is at about the same time I changed the FPS that I recorded my video in from 50 to 60. But the intro is in 24FPS, but the issue still happens with my intro. Thank you!

Comments

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

Does this also happen if you create a new project? Or only in your saved project?

• JoeParJoePar Website User Posts: 4

This happens in either, if I create a new project, or if it is already saved. 

• AdyAdy Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,453 Staff

JoePar - Sorry you are having trouble with the software.

Could you tell me a little about your setup please?

CPU:
    GPU:
    RAM:

Could you also tell me what type of footage you are using & in which codec?

Thanks,
    Ady

CPU: i7 4790k

GPU: GTX 970 FTW+

RAM: 16 GB ddr3 1600mhz

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,881 Ambassador

Hi @JoePar welcome to the Hitfilm community, sorry you are having issues. Is your GPU driver up to date, Hitfilm can suffer if not, but that looks a reasonible card. Overall a nice looking system spec (Jealous). You mention other media slowing it down, have you tried just loading in a JPG image and applying effects on that? Or just having a new composit with no media just a layer added and effects on that, what does that do, if you are still getting the lag?

ta

Yes my GPU drivers are up to date, and it lags when adding anything into it and putting effects onto it.

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

JoePar - You forgot to answer the second part of Ady's question- "...what type of footage you are using & in which codec?"

Your system specs are great so it's probably something else. I have similar specs and I haven't had too much lag- only when I overload a project with tons of effects. So I suspect it might be the footage you're using or the codec.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,307 Ambassador

To expand a bit on what Stormy wrote, your footage is probably mp4, which is a codec designed for final playback, not for editing. Any NLE will suffer from a certain amount of lag with mp4. Hitfilm is worse than some. 

To oversimplify a bit, mp4 squeezes files as small as possible at the cost of requiring a lot of computer power to decode. Mp4 video only stores a complete image every 90, 120 or 150 frames and uses interpolation for every other frame. This means to display frame 47, Hitfilm has to look  at frames 0-89 (or maybe frames 0-149) to display frame 47. Hence, lag. 

For Windows, FxHome recommends converting your footage into a Quicktime (.mov) file encoded in the DNxHD codec. 

DNxHD is a free download, and you can use other free tools like MPEG Streamclip to do the conversion. Your files will take up a lot more drive space, but will respond much faster in Hitfilm because DNxHD will store more complete frames and use lower compression, allowing the file to decode faster. 

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,881 Ambassador

@JoePar, hmm Anything so NOT when just using a plain or is the "Anything" as any type of effects added to the composite shot regardless of if media is added or not.?

The Codec question is ill-relevant if your not using an Media (video or picture files) and it still lags, that is a problem with who HF3 is talking to your hardware. If so, might I suggest booting up your windows without loading all the start-up options (Safe mode +) and see if it still happens. Maybe you have something loaded that is getting in the way of Hitfilm.Can I ask do you run games on your PC, if so do they perform fine? If not then get a benchmarker to test your hardware.

Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.