Metropolitan pack

rick1rick1 Website User Posts: 204 Enthusiast
edited August 2015 in Post-production techniques

Hi, just downloaded the Metropolitan pack,What I got was some 3D models with the textures looking at the Andrew Kramer tutorial there seems to be a lot more to this than just 3D models and textures.what he gets is 10 city templates, over 100 3d buildings , 30Graphic  buildings 30 Metro 156 and Metro antennas. I don't have all of this the question is apart from the models and textures is this all that is available for use in Hitfilm.Simon Jones is the only person I know who has downloaded the pack and I was wondering how he got on with it. I know it's for use with Elements, but I thought there would be more of it that can be used in hitfilm.

Comments

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

rick1 - Andrew mentions a few times in the introduction to the Metro Pack tutorial that Element 3D is required for some of the features. Do you not have access to some of the textures? I'm curious to know as I am planning on getting this pack and hoping like heck that in an update to HitFilm they'll put in bump map support.

Are you missing the city blocks or is there a file there? Depending on the file type, you might be able to put it into Blender and render it out in another format. That's just a shot in the dark though; it could be a custom file type for Element 3D only. I should also add that the tutorial was done in After Effects, not HitFilm, and Andrew was using the Element plugin for AE. Simon just used buildings and textures in his brief tutorial to show how to create the appearance of more buildings.

• rick1rick1 Website User Posts: 204 Enthusiast

Hi Stormy, yes the city blocks are there, but to be honest at the moment if all I have is it , then I don't think it is worth the money. As I said all I can see is the 3D models plus the textures which will need to go to Photoshop to resize them to 4000x3000. There does not seem to be a way to move the antennas, If you look at what Andrew Kramer  has to work with then most of it does not seem to be available in Hitfilm.As you know Simon did a little work on it and I would be happy to see what he say's about it. Maybe I am missing something, but I don't think so.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador
    edited August 2015

Chances are a lot of the stuff in Element won't work in Hitfilm. Things like City Blocks are the same set of building prearranged into groups and stored as presets--similar to setting up a project and saving it. 

Hitfilm and Element are fundamentally different software, and Hitfilm should not be expected to read Element's presets. Element can't open a Hitfilm project. We're even. 

So, yeah, in Hitfilm you can only use the models. The Antennae will be somewhere, but they won't be on the buildings. I can guarantee you Kramer's team built the antennae separately, and later just moved instances around to group with buildings to save as presets. That way each preset becomes a series of pointer files, which is how pretty much any software used is going to handle it. 

That said, the models alone are worth the cost. 

Stormy, bump, normal, transparency and refraction maps are my wishlist. ;-) 

Hi Triem, to be honest what you get for $124  to use in Hitfilm,,I realy don't think it is worth it. As I said maybe I am missing something time will tell.busy now converting the textures and will see where I go from there.I have the Jetstrike pack and can do pretty much what I need and I thought Metropolitan would have integrated much the same.As I said if what I got is it , then in my opinion it's a waste of money for me.

• BobDiMarzioBobDiMarzio Website User Posts: 632 Just Starting Out
    edited September 2015

There are two zip files that must be downloaded from Video Copilot for the Metro pack for use in Hit film or anything other than element/Aftereffects.

1)Alternate 3D format.zip

2) City Templates for After effects.zip  

In the City Templates file you will find those files textures, environmental maps etc. 

The Main File "Metropolitan   Full windows installer"assumes that you will be using Elements.

Without Elements/AE  we don't have all the power and finesse that Andrew demonstrated in his tutes.   If you have Jet Strike you are familiar with these limitations and the additional effort needed when using hitfilm vs Elements/Aftereffects.  Remember that it may be a good idea to reduce the size of the texture files using Photoshop or Gimp so they will play well in Hitfilm.  When I reduced the Jet strikes textures to 2K everything improved dramatically

regards,

Bob.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador

100+ properly built, UV'd and textured models for $124? Seriously, man, go check out models on sites like Turbosquid and you'll see that's a great price. 

Ok, so you can't use Element presets. So, roll your own. Take a day and pick a consistent model scale. Load in buildings, drag and position a bunch on the same layer until you get something you like. Name it, save it as a Composite Shot. Now you can reload your preset into any project. Swap day for night textures, save as a new Composite Shot. Repeat. Shouldn't take more than a few hours to assemble 10-12 city blocks with day/night textures. Yes, you have to do some work, but your stuff will end up looking different from the people who just use the VideoCopilot presets. 

You can do the same with lighting. Set up lights you like, quickly delete the city, save a composite shot, undo to bring back the object and keep playing. 

Some tips for lighting the city. For day and night scenes your key light should be Directional. Sun and Moon are far enough away that their rays are basically parallel. This is the only light that needs to cast shadows. Set it's intensity to about 80, and sample a color from a picture with sun in it. A second directional light should be placed "underground" with the color taken from the ground. Set it's intensity to about 15. This is reflected light from the ground. Give this light a Linear falloff.

Create an ambient light, and sample a color from the sky. Set it to about 5 intensity. 

For night, cut all intensity by half. 

This is a pretty good starting point, and you can pretty quickly change it around for quick new looks. 

edited September 2015

Hi guys I am taking on board everything you guys are telling me for that I thank you all very much. Kramer is talking about  30 graphic building's ,Metro 156, and the antennas and I just did not see any of then all I could see was the 3D buildings and the textures.maybe I will be happier when I see what I have working. You know being a Scotsman maybe I was looking for just too much, still I got something to play about with.The great thing about Hitfilm is how guy's you have never met  or chatted to go out of there way to help you and point you in the right direction,you know what they say your never too old to learn .So Stormy, Triem,Bob thank's again for all the help you have given me it is much appreciated, and I know who to ask in the future.

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    edited August 2015

rick1 - Keep us posted and good luck!

"The great thing about Hitfilm is how guy's you have never met  or chatted to go out of there way to help you and point you in the right direction..."  That's because I visualize whirled peas......I mean.......world peace.

You don't happen to go by the name "The Doctor" do you?  ;^)

Who me....haha

edited September 2015

Hey Rick, I have the pack and the antennas and everything Andrew mentioned are there.  Got to Metropolitan_Files\Metropolitan_3D_Formats\building_aternate_files

There you will find the all popular formats ie  *.OBJ,  *.C4d.*.FBX and  *.Max ,along with the "tex" texture directory.    All the details that are shown in the Andrew Kramer presentations are there.    However, as we all mentioned without Elements the operation are done individually.   Same results just it may take a bit more time.  As I also mentioned in the preceding post, the Environmental maps etc are in the other download related to AE templates.

enjoy.

Bob

Hi Bob, thanks for the answer.all I have from the metropolitan pack is 119 models and the textures. On Kramers  tutorial I see he has options for ...Graphic buildings 30 and Metro_No_Antennas 115. When I go to what I have downloaded all that's there are 2files...MACOSX and Metropolitan_3D_Formats

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

As Triem says, that's still pretty great value for high quality models, compared to a lot of stock sites.

If you seem to be missing stuff you should have, though, you're going to have more luck contacting VideoCopilot than asking on here. I'm sure they'll help you out.

Hi Bob, just another question. How are you resizing your textures

edited September 2015

Hey Rick,

When you down load Metropolitan Pack from  from Video Copilot, you are offered. (2) Metropolitan Installers ( one for either Windows or Apple) and Alternate Files.  Alternate files has (3) files. Alternate (3D) formats,  City Templates for After Effects and Download Printable Cover Art.

Ok, since you are currently using Hit Film, you need (2) of the Alternate files

Alternate (3D) Formats

City Templates for After effects.

The Alternate (3) Format will download Metropolitan.zip 

Within Metropolitan.zip is MACOSX and Metropolitan _3D_Formats

Within Metropolitan_3D_Formats  you will find the .OBJ and MTL files and the directory named Building Alternate Files within Building Alternate file are the alternate 3d files as well as the TEX  (texture files).

There are many variation of all the building using the different textures ie night, run down, pristine etc.  That is where the lionshare of the variations are.   Based on my observations, the Antennas are part of the models groups, so you can initialize the visibility groups within Hitfilm or if you would rather not have the antennas, AC units etc  you can make them invisible.     The Backgrounds are found in the City Templates for Aftereffects download. 

To begin this wonderful adventure,  Choose a fire from the alternate_formats directory ie SkyScraper 01 (quads) then in the material area of the Hit film Dialog, choose an appropriate texture from the tex directory that is associated with Skyscraper01.   Yes I know that it is tedious and requires a lot of experimentation but that is half the fun.

edited September 2015

Hi Rick, 

When I have to re size a texture I use Photoshop.

Bob

Hi Simon, I am still waiting for a reply from them ( obviously not as good at customer service as Hitfilm) will wait and see what they say. Simon on Andrews tutorial he said 3 folders I see 1but not...Graphic building's nor metro _ no_ antennas, do you have those files?

Hi Bob, thank's for all the info.I think I will try a reinstall tomorrow and try again. I keep thinking about Andrew's tutorial and he said there are 3 folder's maybe I am wrong or not just understand everything (which is quite possible).

Regards

Rick

Triem, thank's for all the info, I am sure I will get it right eventually

Regard's

Rick

• MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast

I am actually a little surprised we haven't got a video copilot element 3d hitfilm plugin.  I know hitfilm works with 3d models, but getting something that gives you a the element 3d level of control would be a worthy addition.