HitFilm Speeding up Video Files for no Reason?

AidinAidin Website User Posts: 109

Hey guys, quick question. I'm working on a video that includes a couple of screen recordings (recorded using Microsoft Expression Encoder 4). One recording is 7.5 minutes long, and the other is 4 minutes long. However, when I import the clips into HitFilm, they show everywhere, the media bin, the trimmer, and the timeline, to be 4.5 minutes and 2.5 minutes long. Given my super duper fancy calculations, this means that the clips are being sped up to about 5/8 of their original length.

If anyone knows why this is happening, input is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

Sounds like you might be the victim of variable frame rate encoding. I would try transcoding the clips making sure to force a constant frame rate.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador
    edited August 2015

Aladdin narrowed down the most likely problem. A lot of screen capture software (also phones and tablets) record variable frame rate, which Hitfilm doesn't like. You can use free software like Handbrake or MPEG Streamclip, or paid software like PavTube to transcode your footage to a constant frame rate before import to Hitfilm. 

The other thing to check is that your media and project settings match. If, for example you have 24 fps footage on a 30 fps timeline the footage will play at the wrong speed. 

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

The free MediaInfo utility is a great program to show media file technical specs. You can detect if a file is variable frame rate.

• AidinAidin Website User Posts: 109
This discussion has been closed.