HitFilm 3 crashing randomly during editing

JatylJarmaJatylJarma Website User Posts: 1
edited August 2015 in HitFilm

Hi, I've just downloaded Hitfilm 3 recently and decided to use it to edit some easy screen captured video (.mp4 files using the most recently updated quicktime player 10.4) and it seems that Hitfilm will just crash unexpectedly? I won't be doing anything that seems to point to the crash beforehand, it just seems to happen whenever. My film is not very long, only a few minutes, all I've been doing so far is splicing and moving around audio and video.  I have no other programs running, and have plenty of available space on my drive. Just wondering if there are any solutions?

My comp specs are: iMac (21.5 in. Mid 2011)

Processor: 2.5 ghZ Intel Core i5

Memory: 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512MB

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,303 Ambassador

You might want to add a bit more information here. What's your OS, what are your drives? 

For now, make sure your GPU drivers and QuickTime are the most recent versions. Try turning off any antivirus you may have running (Hitfilm has issues with a couple) and check the properties of your footage. Some screen-cap software, phones and tablets record variable framframe rate video which Hitfilm doesn't like. Finally, your system is near minimum spec for Hitfilm. Can you upgrade your RAM if nothing else? 

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

The QuickTime screen capture records at a variable frame rate so that can cause problems just like Triem23 mentioned. Handbrake is probably the best option to convert to a constant frame rate for short clips.

Also like  Triem23 mentioned as far as RAM and video card memory go you're at the minimum spec. The good news is both are upgradable. The bad news is your video card upgrade options are limited in two ways - First it has to be an MXM video card and second there needs to be Mac drivers for it. I'm not a Mac expert by far but you should be able to get Radeon HD 6770 and 6970 cards that would work and Nvidia 680m and 780m cards should work. I would definitely Google "Mid 2011 iMac GPU upgrade" before jumping off into anything on that front.

Last you didn't mention what version of OS X you're running but I think 10.8 Mountain Lion is the minimum.

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

It's definitely worth converting the footage, or simply using some other footage from a different source. That'll help to pinpoint whether the video format is the culprit or not. If it happens with ALL videos then we can probably rule that one out.

This discussion has been closed.