Sharing effects between clips

UbiUbi Website User Posts: 85
edited August 2015 in Post-production techniques

Is there some way to share an effect between different clips?

I'd like to color grade several clips the same way but if i need to apply slight changes to the grading i need to touch all clips which is cumbersome.

Another idea would be to group all clips under a single composite and grade them all, them cut the composite into slices and place all the clips where i want to be in the timeline. I admit i didn't try this yet, would it work?

Aaaand... is there a way to get a piece of timeline (several clips) and convert them into a composite without the need to repeat all the clip repositioning in the composite timeline?

Thanks! Ubi

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,218 Ambassador

You can always cut/copy/paste effects between clips.

You can save your effects as a preset so you can just drag them to your clips from the preset menu.

Grouping your clips as a composite and slicing it up on the Editor timeline would work.

I don't see any way of moving multiple clips into a Composite Shot from the Editor Timeline. The best I can see is creating a Composite Shot, making it nice and long, then cut/pasting the clips from the Editor Timeline into the Comp Shot.

• UbiUbi Website User Posts: 85

Thanks @Triem23. Well i used copy/paste in my last project and it was difficult to handle for just a 3 mins timeline. Now that i'm working on a 15 mins timeline i'm looking for something more handy. I'll try the sliced composite, too bad it's difficult to switch a section of the timeline to a composite only when needed and you need to start with one big composite just at the start of the project, losing some easyness of the timeline.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,218 Ambassador

One thing I'd like to see Hitfilm steal from Sony Vegas is "Track-Level" effects. In Vegas one can put an effect in at the track level and it will affect every media clip on that track. This would make a lot of grading tasks easier in Hitfilm.

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

What do you think of this idea visavie grading and style sheets of a sort. I gave this suggestion to the Hitfilm folks.

Add a new effect. "Apply preset". This would have one control which lets us select a preset to be applied. The preset is simply a reference. It is not expanded/copied like applying current presets. One obvious application is that we can have a grading preset and apply that to many events, AND still allow changing that preset and everything referencing the preset gets the changes.

Continuing on the "Apply preset" concept you could create a new event property class called "Grade". Akin to Effects and Transform properties. Grade would only contain one or two references to presets and possibly a check option for Before/After effects to define when the grade presets are applied in relation to event effects. Why Grade? One can then easily have a dialog to apply a grade to selected events, but importantly one can also have "change Grade" and "remove Grade" functions which a generic "Apply preset" cannot do. This preset reference idea does impose a project file portability constraint. One has to give someone specific presets in addition to a project file.

• UbiUbi Website User Posts: 85

@NormanPCN, i like the idea of an effect to apply presets. Hope presets may contain many effects so we can build complex grades. And this solution would not affect HF too much, being restricted to a single effect code. Maybe the persistence on the project file will be a bit tricky (maintaining the sharing also on file) but that's nice to me.

And, maybe, with the possibility to "bake" the effect by replacing it into the effect list it refers when necessary to apply on site modifications.

edited August 2015

A single preset can have as many effects as you like right now.

As for the project file portability, one could have "project presets". These would be saved in the project file. In the presets list they could show in a separate "Project presets" folder.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

+1 for track level effects although NormanPCN's idea is intriguing

• MarcinMarcin Website User Posts: 132 Just Starting Out

I would also add possibility to add FX to the final output :)

That (and track level FX  )would cover all needs, I think.

People seem to like track effects. The thing I don't like about tracks simply for doing something like adjusting a look is that it spreads the linear timeflow of the video edits across many vertical tracks. Even 5 tracks can not all be visible at once and the verticality complicates crossfades. Personally speaking, it seems like a lot to give up for a common effect applied to many clips. I come from the Vegas world so I have had track effects available to me.

I like the flexibility of style sheets for the typesetting words and I think something similar for effects could be useful in this world.

• NomadApeNomadApe Website User Posts: 2

Now in 2017 and there is still no way to apply an effect to several clips (or a whole timeline) at once. This is too bad because it would be one of the most useful new features Hitfilm could get. Yes you can make a preset and drag it onto all the clips, but then if you want to change it a little you need to erase it everywhere and re-apply it to all the clips. It's the main reason I can't recommend Hitfilm to friends who are using Premiere.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,708 Ambassador
    edited February 2017

@NomadApe Maybe I'm missing something here, but you can apply the same effect to a series of clips by dragging the selection box over all to highlight then drag on an effect, such as a color grade.

Yes, from that point forward, if you want to have each clip affected by the same grade value change you have to hit each clip, one by one, and adjust each individually (which can be a plus in some situations)

But if you want one grade change to effect the whole smack, then convert the highlighted clips to a composite shot first, drag the comp onto the timeline and then add the effect.   In that way 1 change will affect all clips.

"But if you want one grade change to effect the whole smack, then convert the highlighted clips to a composite shot first,"

Hitfilm has no such feature AFAIK. An individual clip, Yes. A group of clips, No.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,708 Ambassador

Yep, @NormanPCN is right.  I stand corrected.  Can't select all clips in the Editor and do a "Make Composite Shot". 

But . . . . you can create a new composite shot, drag your footage into that (each clip will be its own layer).   Then drag that comp back onto the Editor timeline and add one effect to the whole comp.  Again one change will effect the whole comp.

• ZiflinZiflin Website User Posts: 8

This is starting to kill my productivity. I can't select multiple clips and simply edit all their properties at once. If there were track-level effects that would help a ton as I could setup color correct/lighting fixes based on where my camera was in our shop. Ideally I should be able to multi-select and edit similar properties on all the selected clips at once like other apps.

• mrt82mrt82 Website User Posts: 1

I am also struggling with this. It would really be helpfull to be able to group clips, set a name/color to the group in the Editor and then link different presets to group /s. 

• Spyr1014Spyr1014 Website User Posts: 1

I struggle because I use the slice tool to time out the rough cut, and then can't transform groups of sliced up clips. I can't even work out how to drag them into a composite to move them as a unit.

This is a big problem.