Denoise error HitFilm 3 Pro (Resolved) (Out of Date Graphics Drivers)

EdMichalskiEdMichalski Website User Posts: 39
edited August 2015 in HitFilm

To recreate

Create a composite shot of a movie

Add denoise to the composite

In denoise settings click on analyse

- breaks hitfilm every time -- it even sent a dump out

Comments

• EdMichalskiEdMichalski Website User Posts: 39

Interestingly enough, if you add denoise to a composite shot [media] it will not crash.   Just when you create a compsite [composite].

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    edited August 2015

I wouldn't even have expected the denoise filter to work on composite shots from the start, but well, I tried it, and it works perfectly fine for me. This might be a bug related to your specific setup, so giving more info on your hardware (cpu, gpu, ram, os) and installed drivers will help to find out what's happening here.

edited August 2015

Robin,

So far I tried it on two computers, my laptop and desktop.  And it only happens (on both) when I click Analyze.   But it is consistent.  

And Robin, as I learn HitFilm's principles of operation, yes, you might not think that running a denoise on a composite would be the ideal way to go.   But, I guess my point here is, and based on being into software development for well over twenty years now, an unhandled exception which causes the software to die is seldom isolated to one high level method or item.   If it is the wrong way to do something in a complex piece of software it should be restricted rather than completely killing the application.  

I will see if anyone else here can replicate the issue, I may need to do a screen recording of how to recreate the issue (if there is consideration on resolving it). 

Thanks Robin for your time.

Ed

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,950 Enthusiast

I tried Denoise on media and a pure CG composite (particle sim) and an embedded CG comp (source just a plane with some effects). I never got a crash when clicking analyze.

Windows 7, AMD 7950 GPU (driver 15.7.1)

Norman,

Did you turn the media into a composite, then denoise it as the composite?

• MessenMessen Website User Posts: 86 Enthusiast

I tried it with a very noisy Cannon 550D footage (dark room + low iso = horrible result ;) ). Imported to Hitfilm 3 Pro, made composite shot, denoise it and added a white balance correction. I had no problem but the result was unusable to edit. It was very slow without a proxy but no other problems. Same result when I add the white balance to the footage and the denoise to the composite. It was slow, but works.

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    edited August 2015

@EdMichalski Coming from software development myself I completely agree with you! I didn't actually expect HitFilm to crash, I probably expected some kind of warning that this effect can't be used on composite shots. But in hindsight, of course, HitFilm treats composites like any other media, so why wouldn't it work.

But yeah, still no solution for you... Have you opened a support ticket already? This might be a better way to get to the staff directly.

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,950 Enthusiast
    • "Did you turn the media into a composite, then denoise it as the composite?"

Yes. Media was Canon 7D MOV footage.

• AdyAdy Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,445 Staff

EdMichalski

Thank you for sending your reports to us they were most helpful.

The problems you are having are caused by both of your systems running out of date graphics drivers. HitFilm uses the GPU for it's rendering so having the latest drivers is essential for error free running. This is most likely why no one else could reproduce your problem as they are all currently up to date or at least running newer ones than your own.

System 1 has an Nvidia 660 Ti running a driver from October 2013

Nvidia Driver (External link to the Nvidia website)

System 2 has an Intel HD 4600 running a driver from June 2014

Intel HD Driver Updater (External link to the Intel website)

Thanks,
    Ady

This discussion has been closed.