Crashing when opening file explorer

dreamy67dreamy67 Website User Posts: 2

When ever I open file explorer, to import videos, images, ect. The program crashes. I cant save because it requires file explorer. How can I fix this? I am running windows 8.

Comments

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast

Can you open the file explorer normally? Do other programs crash on import/save dialogs that use the standard windows file explorer engine?

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

What anti-virus software are you using? This kind of extreme problem is usually caused by an over-zealous anti-virus program trying to prevent HitFilm from doing normal things. 

• dreamy67dreamy67 Website User Posts: 2

No, other programs do not crash when I open it that I know of. I'm using Norton as a antivirus.

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

Can you try temporarily disabling Norton, then running HitFilm to see if it makes a difference?

Also, please let me know your computer's specification, particularly processor and graphics card.

• IdrankwhatIdrankwhat Website User Posts: 131

I had this same exact problem on a laptop that had windows 8.1 on it.  The  laptop has no video card, it was onboard graphics only which is the chipset on the motherboard and the CPU working together to display video on the screen. 

I contacted Support about this and they said it was the directx drivers and outdated video drivers.  Problem is that the drivers are set by the manufacturer and there was no update available.

The only thing I can suggest is trying to completely remove the video drivers, including the manufacturers drivers and reinstall them after shutting down the computer completely and then restarting from a completely powered down state.

Hitfilm just started working on it's own on the laptop and the issue you are experiencing did not reoccur.  You can also upgrade to windows 10 which uses directx 12 even though most computers out there do not have direct x12 it supposedly makes the older hardware work better I guess.

You can't just download directx or reinstall it since it is actually part of the operating system. Your only options are to update the video drivers or reinstall them.

Since my laptop does not have a dedicated video card anything video editing related is way too slow to be productive so I just did not reinstall Hitfilm on my laptop when I upgraded to windows 10 from a clean install. It was on the laptop after the initial free upgrade and I tested it out and worked with no problems.

I just reset the operating system to a clean state without any software or personal files and never reinstalled hitfilm on the laptop.  On my desktop computer I have windows 10 pro and hitfilm works with no issues at all on that.

• IdrankwhatIdrankwhat Website User Posts: 131

Norton is one of the main culprits of software issues, try disabling that and see if there is a change in how Hitfilm works.  On my laptop the security software was not the issue, what was I have no idea as hitfilm just started working on it's own.  I am guessing it is a bug somewhere in the software as you are experiencing the samething I did.

• specialherospecialhero Website User Posts: 13

I am having the same problem too. Everytime i try to import a videos, the program will crash.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,280 Ambassador

@specialhero What are your system specs: CPU, GPU, OS, RAM. Are your drivers up to date, is Quicktime installed, are you running antivirus, and is your machine a Dell/Alienware?

• specialherospecialhero Website User Posts: 13
    edited June 2016

Toshiba laptop:

I5-5200U 2.2GHz turbo to 2.7GHz

RAM 4GB

Nvidia geforce 930m 2GB

Windows 10 Home

Drivers are up to date

Quicktime is installed

I disabled antivirus

I think my machine not dell or alienware

Btw I am using .avi and .mp4 file only

EDIT: Does my windows defender have to disable too?

• qanubisqanubis Website User Posts: 1

hello, I'm experiencing the same problem: crashing a soon as I try to import media files, so I cannot use the software at all.

I have a Dell Inspiron13 7000 series, i7, Windows 10, McAfee antivirus.

Any idea what the problem could be? I run GoPro editing software and other video editors without any issues.

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff

If you are on a Dell machine and your system crashes when trying to import, or when opening a window to browse for an item, you will want to uninstall the Dell Backup and Recoverysoftware. This will solve the crash for most users.

There are several applications affected by the issue and our development team is working hard to resolve it.

Should you continue to have further issues or any questions, you are welcome to contact support.

• AdyAdy Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,436 Staff

qanubis - Please see Axel's post above, as this thread is quite old I will be closing it. If you are still having issues despite following Axel's instructions, please contact support here.

Ady

This discussion has been closed.