3D Model Texture Import Resolution?

jakeyp99jakeyp99 Website User Posts: 5

Hello.

I have Hitfilm 3 Pro, and I've noticed that when importing textures for a sphere 3D model, the texture resolution seems to drop. Even when I use a texture with a resolution of 21600x10800. Is this a problem on my side or is it a Hitfilm bug?

Thanks

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,280 Ambassador

It's not a "Bug," but Hitfilm currently doesn't support image sizes larger that 4096x3192. Your textures are getting downsampled. 

• jakeyp99jakeyp99 Website User Posts: 5

Is there any way around this?

Also, would the image look better if I scaled it down myself rather than Hitfilm downsampling it for me?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,280 Ambassador
    edited August 2015

Thete is no way around this, currently. Personally, I downsample all my textures myself. Part of that is feeling I have more control over the scaling, part of it is saving memory space--if Hitfilm is going to internally downsample, fine, but it's still loading the full file. So I just feed Hitfilm the largest thing it will take without Hitfilm using memory holding unused pixels, and saving Hitfilm wasting processor cycles on scaling. 

Might one ask what you're doing that needs 200 megapixel textures? Premiere and Vegas have max image sizes of 16k x 16k and Element 3D has a max texture size of 8k x 8k. So does 3ds Max. I can't think offhand of anything that can handle a 20k x 10k texture! Maybe Maya or Lightwave, but those are out of my skill set. I think some of your textures were created so large for "future-proofing," waiting for the day software will use something so massive. 

That said, I wouldn't mind if a future update allows Hitfilm to go to at least 8192x8192 for texture and bitmap images. 

I have a *rather* high-resolution image for an Earth texture which is applied to a sphere and with the level of detail in that kind of image I can zoom in really close without having to worry about pixelation.

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,827 Ambassador

I hand paint my textures in 4,096x4,096 and resize them to 1,024x,1024.

I'd like to see the specs of your machine. It must be a beast if it can handle textures at 21,600x10,800

• KadriKadri Website User Posts: 171

I used 20 000 x 20 000  textures (and it wasn't only one image) in Terragen even when i had only 4 GB in my old computer. RAM is important but it depends on the software too. Hitfilm uses the GPU for many things. Maybe unrelated but it could be the reason? I don't know.

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

Hitfilm seems to be using OpenGL for everything. The OpenGL hardware/driver will have a texture size limit. For reference my AMD 7950 GPU reports 16384 for a max texture dimension X/Y. I believe textures do not have to exist/fit in GPU memory but performance will be less if it cannot fit.

Hitfilm does use open GL for everything, yes. Based on the tech specs/hardware compatibility for Hitfilm, probably Open GL 4, which, incidentally, supports a max texture size of 16536^2.

I assume the devs set limits on Hitfilm based on lowest compatible specs. Doing a bit of Googling around I find that the max texture size for an Intel HD 4000 (lowest compatible GPU), while listed in hardware spec as 16k^2 (Open GL spec) , in practice is 4k^2 (based off tje VRAM buffer). I merely speculate here. 

Terragen allows 20k x 20k textures? Wow... Impressive. 

I haven't tested the highest limit in Terragen.It might be higher even.

I got just curious and made a test in Terragen. I used 4    30 000 x 30 000 PNG images. No problem. But it depends on your RAM probably. The RAM usage went to 17 GB in Windows.

This discussion has been closed.