Discuss, collaborate and share!

SimonKJones
SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
The Filmmaking forum is the place to exchange filmmaking tips and tricks, discuss the latest gear and show off your own work.
If you're working on a new movie, why not create a production diary and keep us up-to-date? This is your forum, so feel free to show off. :)

Comments

• kiviplz
    kiviplz Posts: 4
    edited July 2011
    Hey! I'm writing a script for an original film...don't know if this counts but I think it's gonna be pretty sweet...I guess I'll put more details later
  • Prospero
    Prospero Posts: 127
    Working on retelling a Shakespearean classic, have several props built and and now trying to learn Blender to get my 3d locales and fx created. Mixing live action with cgi creatures and sets. Sadly slow going due to lack of $ and my inability to concentrate...ooh bright shiny things :) Also in the midst of trying to get my novel Airship Lament ready for publishing on Kindle while wrting my next novel and doing my day job. Not stressed at all.
  • DanielGWood
    DanielGWood Posts: 1,018 Just Starting Out

inability to concentrate...ooh bright shiny things :)
    Oops, we probably haven't helped with that ;). Sounds like you are a busy chap!
  • JSK Films
    JSK Films Posts: 3
    Working on a short action film that will put Hitfilm to the test. Our ideas are really endless of what we could do. We also have a different way of planning this. Instead of a script we are kind of making maps of where all the characters are then marking their movements, and then we turn it into a small comic kind storyboard.
    Thanks for making Hitfilm, and for making our ideas possible.
  • Currently working on a 5 minutes funny graveyard romance shorty for 2 years. I've almost finished it (using Hitfilm in the last steps for some compositing, masking). Video is 99% finished. I must finish it this year, make music and sfx.
    I told myself to not to begin a new project till it is not finished...

Our old, bigger project here, just for introduction:
    Our old film, from 2006. sci-fi, hungarian language.
  • DanielMorgan
    DanielMorgan Posts: 324 Just Starting Out
    Working on the script to a post war film . Will be making heavy use of hitfilms muzzle effects, colour grading and smoke effects. Will be keeping up to date on the forums :)
    Any one know where I can get cheap army gear and guns?
  • DanielGWood

Any one know where I can get cheap army gear and guns?
    It's worth asking at your local Surplus store if you can rent. For a recent production we rented some uniform, handcuffs and more. The guy was also willing to rent us prop guns. All of that was at a very reasonable rate, and rented for a whole week. You have to bring it back in good condition (so fake blood is out of the question) but it does give you access to a lot more variety than you can have if you buy everything.
  • DanielMorgan
    DanielMorgan Posts: 324 Just Starting Out

It's worth asking at your local Surplus store if you can rent. For a recent production we rented some uniform, handcuffs and more. The guy was also willing to rent us prop guns. All of that was at a very reasonable rate, and rented for a whole week. You have to bring it back in good condition (so fake blood is out of the question) but it does give you access to a lot more variety than you can have if you buy everything.
    Hmm well we don't have surplus stores where I live (Wales) however maybe try the same technique with a different store . Chears
  • DanielGWood
    edited August 2011
    None at all?! Seems odd. A casual search on Yell.com reports there at least some in Wales, though perhaps they aren't as popular or widespread as over the border.
  • VisionTestLab
    VisionTestLab Posts: 72
    edited August 2011
    I too am working on an original film. Excuse my humble side but The story line is Bomb, and the Graphics will be likewise (there goes the humble side :huh: ). And as my avatar name warns you, all of my effects are made in Vision Lab pro...Lol :))
  • Froi
    Froi Posts: 966
    I am currently working on a thriller/horror, no shooting (so much violence in modern media, maybe something diferent might get some kore veiws!?!? lol) but major colour grading, with vision lab, and use of optics as well.... :)) also... Does vision lab render (on default settings) in HD?
  • Viktorious
    Viktorious Posts: 105
    edited December 2011
    I am in production and have been for about a month now on a new short/feature film right now titled E.M.P.
    E.M.P.is short for electro magnetic pulse. A nuclear bomb that wipes out all electricity and every single thing that is powered by it. The world is basically in chaos after about a year of having to struggle to survive. The story is about a boy named William and his sister Emily, and another companion they meet on their way to a town that was able to pull itself together despite the turmoil all around them. This town can offer protection, food and warm clothing for the winter that is fast approaching.
    While on their way to this colony Will and Emily must go through almost impossible obstacles like gangs, cannibals and the extraordinary struggle to stay alive and help their fellow human beings.
    The movie is my biggest film yet and is almost half way finished with actual filming and will also be the biggest post production project I've ever done. I will have pics and a trailer up hopefully in the next two weeks.
  • Hi HitFilm Guys n Gals! Just wanted to let you know my independent Movie Vampires: Brighter in Darkness, which was edited using HitFilm Ultimate and FXhome VisionLab, will be out on DVD April 2012 worldwide. We had our cinematic premiere at cineworld in Cardiff at the Iris Festival with great critical acclaim! Here is the link to the Official trailer on YouTube Thanks
  • DanielGWood
    Welcome Witchward, nice work!
  • DICE
    DICE Posts: 7
    Working on a few crossover ideas (already done most of the sotryboards, just ramping up for the production part...groan!)
    Having a blast learning the ends and outs and what can be done with Hitfilm (yeah got the package crhistmas/bday Present!)
    so here a piece been working on an figuring out need better sound effects thus far
  • adog21
    adog21 Posts: 3
    Hi Hitfilm community. I am new to Hitfilm and wanted to get some opinions on an upcoming movie I am making called "The Other." Its a sci fi action short that has to do with the alien other. For the aliens I think I am going to use a green screen suit and cloak it in a way where you can still see a little bit of the alien. If any of you have any ideas on how to make the alien better or build on the idea please let me know. My youtube channel is ASfilms21.
  • SimonKJones
    Hi adog21! I'd recommend posting a new topic in the Filmmaking forum with some more details about your movie and the VFX, that way more people are likely to see it and help out.
  • adog21
    adog21 Posts: 3
    Ok will do thanks! By the way i love the Hitfilm software! Its a great new transition from iMovie and final cut pro. Great Work!
  • I made this short film and I'm looking for some professional critique. All my friends tell me it's good, but they're not professionals. I used an Fxhome product so I guess it's relevant to these forums.
    Anyway, the movie is called Santa Hats Murder People. Please give it a like if you liked it. Here's the link:
  • tg2069
    tg2069 Posts: 1
    We make a bunch of youtube short videos. I'm in the process of...learning the process, so constructive critism is always appreciated.
  • F.L.Taylor
    F.L.Taylor Posts: 7
    Hello HitFilMakers,
    This is a many firsts for me. It is my very first Film Production, YouTube Video, Forum Topic and first-time use of the awesome HitFilm Ultimate Software. B A R Я Y is Psychological Horror that takes you on a thrill ride deep into the darkness of the human psyche (my own). There are no retakes. All video footage used was shot once as a memento of how precious time is. Its disturbing, and its deliberate. It's produced on a $0 budget, with 0 Actors, and A Panasonic PV-GS300 (DV Tape). Software used in the making of this film: HitFilm, GIMP, and FL Studio.
    Rated Я 9.5 mins

[center]Enjoy![/center]
  • Freeze
    Freeze Posts: 46
    Started working on a comedy horror spoof called "Winter Clawz" back in October 2011. It was halloween up at a mountain resort with me and my family the only guests. I had a mansion, a camera and a mask. I was having so much fun so then I wrote a script, bought a green screen and well here I am today. I doubt I will get an oscar but I am having a great time with it and so are my friends as I have recruited them into the operation as this thing keeps growing.
    Still in principle photography mode probably through the summer and hope to use hit film to enhance the end product with a release in late summer or fall 2012. So glad to find a product like hit film that can breath life into the ideas. Thanks!
    I have started a facebook page for the movie which is where people can find the latest if so inclined.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WinterClawz
    I also have some test videos up on utube under freeze935 that were shot on that Halloween day and early November 2011.

Thanks for listening!
    -Chris
  • HenryGill
    HenryGill Posts: 36
    Hi!
    I have recently started up a youtube channel devoted to Hitfilm videos; I'm uploading something new every week (I found that getting into a routine stopped me procrastinating in making films)!
    This is my latest one, (I have since realised that the main thing preventing this being realistic is the darkness of the shadow; I should have made a larger mask to incorporate the whole shadow of the car), any tips/tricks/criticism would be great!
    Thanks!
  • SimonKJones
    The car does look a bit oddly composited - was it shot on the some location from the same camera angle?
  • HenryGill

The car does look a bit oddly composited - was it shot on the some location from the same camera angle?
    Yes; same location, same angle, but I think I cut off too much of the car's shadow. Also because it was outside I wonder whether a cloud came over when we filmed the car driving past, changing the lighting?
    Hopefully I wont make the same mistake twice!
  • HenryGill
    Here's my next one - unfortunately I had to put it together in a rush; I would have liked to have made the helicopter blend more and react more naturally. Also it would have been great to use the particle generator to add in some smoke!
    The massive light flare at the end was a way to quickly give the impression of an explosion but only spend about 2 minutes on it!
    Any criticism, tips or requests for films (i'm making a new one weekly) would be great!
    Thanks!
  • HenryGill
    I've uploaded my next film - I spent ages fruitlessly trying to make the ending look more natural! Anyone got any ideas on how to do so?
    Cheers!
  • Noodle
    Noodle Posts: 5

Hi!
    I have recently started up a youtube channel devoted to Hitfilm videos; I'm uploading something new every week (I found that getting into a routine stopped me procrastinating in making films)!
    This is my latest one, (I have since realised that the main thing preventing this being realistic is the darkness of the shadow; I should have made a larger mask to incorporate the whole shadow of the car), any tips/tricks/criticism would be great!
    Thanks!

That's really cool. How did you make it look like the car hit you? I'm shooting a short in July and need a zombie to get run down!
  • SimonKJones
    Heh, fun. I think the effect at the end looks a bit strange because the angle you're firing the device implies that the kid should go flying backwards, but instead he shoots up into the air. The trajectory also suggests he should fall back down further to the left than he does.
    Maybe try an alternate version where he flies straight backwards, smashing right into the lower-left window of the house? Maybe smashing through it and disappearing into the house. :) I think the perspective will work much better for that.
  • HenryGill

That's really cool. How did you make it look like the car hit you? I'm shooting a short in July and need a zombie to get run down!
    Its the same process as going under the car:
    - Keep the camera on a tripod, and film the car driving past, then the person (or zombie!) acting out getting hit
    - Then in Hitfilm, mask out the footage of the car and place it over the top of the person getting run over.
    *Remember to try and mask out the car's shadow too, also if your doing it outside try to minimise the change in lighting, for example don't film the person while the suns behind a cloud then the car in direct sunlight!
    Maybe if your doing a zombie you could do 3 shots: the car, the person getting hit, and the person lying on the ground after the car has passed over them so that you could cover them in blood for the last shot?
    Hope that helps!

And Simon, maybe in the next film; a bit OTT for a quick 1-evening video! ;)
    I was sick of watching the video over and over again trying to work it out - thanks for solving the mystery about why it looked so wrong!!!
    Will bear that in mind for future vids! :D