AVI File Error - Invalid Media - Media could not be imported

VobbleWobble
VobbleWobble Website User Posts: 13

Hi, just installed Hitfilm3 Express, I was planning on doing 3 pro in the future, but haven't had any pressing need and Express is a great starting point, so thanks for offering.

My issue is this, I have some files from my daughters birth that are AVI from a "GoPro Style" camera.  When I go to import them I just get a File Error, I go to properties and it says Invalid Media: The Media could not be imported.

Can anyone help me figure out why?

I'm not super knowledgeable on files and codecs and all that stuff, but I can tell you this, they are 1920x1080 at 29fps, stereo, AVI files.  Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,380 Ambassador

One of the limitations in Hitfilm 3 Express is the edit codecs Express can use--this is a licensing issue. Some codec require fees to be paid to the license holder, and these codecs are not supported in Hitfilm Express (after all, that means that FxHome would, literally, be PAYING money for every Express download).

However, Hitfilm Express has it's add-on packs that can be found here: http://hitfilm.com/store/hitfilm-3-express

Take a look at the Premium Formats pack, but wait for verification from FxHome staff before you purchase this. I'm pretty sure that the proprietary Cineform codec used by Go-Pro may be the issue, but, since I'm not 100% certain, I don't want to encourage you to spend your $10 just yet.

• VobbleWobble
    VobbleWobble Website User Posts: 13

Thanks Triem.  I'll look into that, I think I have to get the Formats pack anyhow as my camcorder uses AC3. 

But, just to clarify, this isn't a GoPro camera, it's actually a small "tactical" camera that game with a special edition video game, Call of Duty: Ghosts.  Looks like it was manufactured by something called JAKKS Pacific.

So any other insight from others or staff, much appreciated.

Thanks Again!

• Robin
    Robin Website User Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast

Just to add to what Triem said, you can (and often even should) convert your footage prior to editing. So you could use a program like MPEG Streamclip or Handbrake to transcode the video into another format first, and then load it into HitFilm. You can see what codecs are supported by Express out of the box here: https://hitfilm.com/express/specs#formats

• TomGannaway
    TomGannaway Website User Posts: 1
    edited January 2016

Hello -

I was able to bring in GoPro MP4 footage from my Hero 4 into HitFilm Express for Mac okay, but the footage was extremely jerky.  After Googling, I found that the issue was compression, so I downloaded MPEG Streamclip and created a .MOV version of the file using AVID DNxHD codec.  However, I still received the AVI file error. 

I love the HitFilm Express user interface and tutorials, etc., and would like to use it for my GoPro stuff, if I could get over this hump.  I'd be grateful to anyone who could help.

Thanks!

• alva114
    alva114 Website User Posts: 1
    edited January 2016

I would to suggest a AVI Repair Tool to repair your avi file. When I faced corruption issue with my DivX video file I was very annoyed but thanks to my friend Lydia, she recommended me to use this tool and everything worked super amazing.

• JessB
    JessB Website User Posts: 12

@VobbleWobble, I was having a similar issue were the AVI was trying to import was crashing Hitfim on import. if you are still having this issue perhaps the thread i started and was given a solution, in can help.

• Yeremyah
    Yeremyah Website User Posts: 1,000 Enthusiast

Try to Convert the video files to .mp4 format, and then import and see how that goes.

I use Aiseesoft Video Converter Ultimate, it maintains the quality and I really like it.

If you cannot afford to buy Aiseesoft Video Converter Ultimate, you can try Format Factory which is freeware.

Hope that helps.

• Thelonious
    Thelonious Website User Posts: 1

I had the same problem,I have installed K-lite codec pack ( mega version ) Problem solved,no need of anything else!

• Gneww
    Gneww Website User Posts: 1

I'm having the exact same issue (brand new to Hit Film as well). MOV, and AVI files show up as 'errors' when I try importing them. 

Can anyone help solve this? It'd be greatly appreciated!

• Yeremyah
    edited February 2016

Installed QuickTime? Because QuickTime is required to read or write any file with an MOV extension.  Reboot after installing QT.

• Hendo
    Hendo Staff Website User Posts: 160 Enthusiast

If you can't import GoPro AVI files into HitFilm then please install GoPro Studio (free download from gopro.com) and try again. If you still can't import them after installing GoPro Studio then please contact Support.

• alva114
    alva114 Website User Posts: 1

I would to suggest a AVI Repair Tool to repair your avi file. When I faced corruption issue with my DivX video file I was very annoyed but thanks to my friend Lydia, she recommended me to use this tool and everything worked super amazing.

• Yeremyah

Try to Convert the video files to .mp4 format, and then import and see how that goes.

I use Aiseesoft Video Converter Ultimate, and it works amazingly well, no quality loss:

http://www.aiseesoft.com/video-converter-ultimate/

If you cannot afford to buy Aiseesoft Video Converter Ultimate, you can try Format Factory which is freeware:

http://filehippo.com/download_format_factory/

Hope that helps.

• erspark2002
    erspark2002 Website User Posts: 1
    edited April 2018

I had this error, and it turned out that my mp4 file was corrupt.
    Install ffmpeg for windows, open a command prompt then run:
    c:\ffmpeg>ffmpeg -i "input.mp4" -c copy "input_fixed.mp4"

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!