HitFilm 3 Express out now - FOR FREE

SimonKJones
SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
edited July 2015 in Practical Filmmaking

Two awesome things happened today. Ryan Connolly released his new short film, Portal Combat, and we released HitFilm 3 Express.

To find out more about both of those things and what this all means, head over to the blog.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,080 Ambassador
    edited July 2015

Shared this around, already.  ;-) This is an exciting day! Nice job synchronizing the launch, the blog, going live with Film Riot, and all the brand new BTS, and tutorial content on the YouTube page! 

Lotta new to check out today! 

And just before VidCon! ;-) 

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Posts: 3,152 Ambassador

Great news, I can upgrade from version Hitfilm 2 Express. Looking forward to seeing what improvements there are in the new version.

Thanks for continuing to support the community.

• So is Hitfilm 3 Express as good as Hitfilm 2 Ultimate?

• SimonKJones
    edited July 2015

@H3rm4n - HitFilm 3 Express' lineage can be traced back through HitFilm 2 Express and HitFilm Standard. Whereas HitFilm 3 Pro evolved out of HitFilm 2 Ultimate.

So 3 Express isn't as powerful as 2 Ultimate in terms of raw features, but it is based on the core foundation of 3 Pro, with all the inherent improvements that came along with that (eg, editor features, stability etc).

• Triem23

Remember, however, 3 Express does have the optional modules to add functionality similar to Hitfilm 2 Ultimate or Hitfilm 3 Pro--like the models or particles add-ons.

Hitfilm 2 Express didn't have that option.

• SimonKJones

Yeah, 3 Express is a very flexible platform, especially if you don't need everything in Pro.

• chibi
    chibi Posts: 257 Just Starting Out

Really cool! Can express open pro files even if some pro features will be disabled?

• OrangePekoe
    OrangePekoe Posts: 478

Boo yah!  Shared around my social media networks!  Really enjoyed that short film!  Great job!

• Robin
    Robin Posts: 1,669 Enthusiast
    edited July 2015

A-ma-ZING! Instashared.

@chibi Just tried that - yes, you can! You'll just get a warning that some pro features will be disabled and permanently(!) removed from the project if you save it with Express again.

• alwadhani
    alwadhani Posts: 3

Very cool and am digging the new look;)

But i noticed that there is an option to import .hfcs comp so I tried to import a project that I export from blender using an old "blender 2 hit film script" but I got an error? So is hitfilm 3 express import .hfcs or not!

Sorry for the long question;)

and thank you guys a lot

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,086 Staff

Thanks @Robin - we appreciate the sharing!

And yes @alwadhani, you should be able to import a HitFilm composite shot .hfcs no problem, as it's on our list of supported formats for Express: https://hitfilm.com/express/specs

Can you explain in more detail what you mean by "blender 2 hit film script"?

• Robin

@KirstieT I guess he is referring to a script that made the rounds a good time back, which plugged into blender and let you export your camera and null data from blender to a .hfcs file with a camera and points set up. Made it easy to switch a blender animation into HitFilm to edit it further there keeping the 3D space. I guess the script was good enough for HF2, but misses some things required for HF3 to read a composite shot, that's why it wouldn't work anymore.

• alwadhani
    alwadhani Posts: 3

Spot on Robin

the script is found here:

http://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/4602/updated-blender-hitfilm-script

And it export camera data from blender to Hitfilm 2 as a .hfcs comp, but when using it with hitfilm3 I get a error saying that  "this comp was made with moca for hit film and you don't have it" or some thing like that?

• SketchWork
    SketchWork Posts: 127
    edited July 2015

Congratulations of the new release.  Looking great guys.  I'll have to check it out :)

Justin

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Posts: 3,152 Ambassador

Well this is an early Christmas present (its Julymass) anyway downloaded and installed and cracking open a can of joyful Hitfilm fun. 

Also I can confirm that I have running (not at the same time) both Hitfilm 2 Express install and Hitfilm 3 Express, meaning I can still utilise some of the features of the older software. This is great news.

First impressions are ... "ooohhh dribble!!!"

• yup
    yup Posts: 1

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can't download Hitfilm express 3 its not even giving me a prompt to download it I click on 'Get Hitfilm Express 3 free' and it doesn't download it just brings me to a screen with a few links to look at the specs. Am I doing something wrong?

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff

@yup - sorry you are having trouble downloading. Can you contact support and send a screenshot of what you are seeing, please? You should be taken to a page where you create an account, provide some info about the type of films you hope to make, and have the option to share on social media, then proceed through to get to the installer.

• KayleeKat
    KayleeKat Posts: 1

Thanks for the free software, I'm looking forward to trying Hitfilm 3 out!  I've downloaded the software but when I launch the application I am asked for a serial number from the Activation App.  I looked in my email and haven't seen a serial number?  Please advise & TIA!

• DanielGWood
    DanielGWood Posts: 1,018 Just Starting Out

@KayleeKat that's interesting - it should only need your email address and password (the same ones you used when signing up for Express).

Your Express license does have a serial number, and it will be listed in https://hitfilm.com/account/software.

If you're still having trouble, please drop us a line (and include a screenshot if possible) in Support, we'll be happy to help.

• GM1968
    GM1968 Posts: 1

Hello,

HitFilm 2 Express works with Movie Studio Platinum (SONY). Is there a possibility for use  Hitfilm 3 Express with MSP 13 ?

Anyway I love these opportunities to add options as needed! good idea!

Gabriel

• BudgieBum
    BudgieBum Posts: 2

The sound on my clips has not been enabled when i moved them into be edited, some thing about a licence ?  

• Robin

@BudgieBum Might be a licensing issue, yes. Do you happen to know what codec the audio is in?

• Triem23

@BudgieBum if you have AVCHD footage or Dolby audio you'll need to buy the Premium Codec pack, or use software like MPEG Streamclip or Handbrake Handbrake to convert the footage. 

• markreed
    markreed Posts: 2

Does HitFilm 3 Express have the ability to do chroma keying?

• Robin

@markreed Yes, keying is supported. But why don't you just download the program and see for yourself? :)

• AxelWilkinson

I guess it depends on how technically you mean that. It does include both Color Difference Keying and Hue & RGB keying, which can handle greenscreen or bluescreen footage nicely, and it has a variety of Matte Enhancement tools to help improve your keying results.

But the Chroma Key tool, specifically, is not included in the free version.

So technically the chroma keying process isn't included, but it does have a large selection of tools for keying greenscreen footage.

• markreed
    markreed Posts: 2

Thanks appreciate your comments I am going to take a look

• yfrontxl
    yfrontxl Posts: 4
    edited July 2015

For a newbie, the different varieties of Hitfilm under discussion is very confusing. Is there  a page somewhere that lists the features of each version - ie a comparison list ? Particularly, I want to know the feature and limitation differences between V3  Pro and Express - I couldn't find this information so far.

Also this forum doesn't have a search function !!!!

• AxelWilkinson

There search function is at the bottom of the forum; just click the magnifying glass icon.

For the differences between Express and Pro, check out the comparison chart: http://hitfilm.com/store/hitfilm-3-express#comparison

• Does anyone else seem to be missing a bunch of plugins and presets? They appear to be installed on my hard drive, but aren't appearing in HF3E. Like all the muzzle flashes, the blood splatter plugin and a bunch of film looks presets (just what I have noticed so far). Have tried importing (failed), and reinstalling to no avail.