HitFilm 3 Pro update #7

SimonKJones
SimonKJones ModeratorWebsite User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

HitFilm 3 Pro update #7 is now available for your delectation! Find out more here: http://hitfilm.com/blog/hf-pro-update-7/

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,956 Ambassador
    edited July 2015

Yeah, started a render, came back, and was surprised to see an update notice over my session. 

*sighs*Really, new laser effect the week AFTER the tedious Dalek Blaster rigging? My timing is terrible! 

• PhilWesson
    PhilWesson Website User Posts: 241 Enthusiast

This will definitely make large scale laser battles a lot easier!

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

That's what we're here for, @PhilWesson, that's what we're here for.

@Triem23 - our internal release schedule is actually based entirely around your projects, so that we're always a week later with useful stuff.

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,728 Ambassador
    edited June 2015

Oi! Sure could have used that laser effect for my last vid! I ended up key framing it by hand.....bit by bit........by bit.........by bit. 

Excited to try out the new FX! Thanks FXhome for making life so fun!

SimonKJones- "@Triem23 - our internal release schedule is actually based entirely around your projects, so that we're always a week later with useful stuff."

Wow, that's really cruel. LOL

• LuBeDa
    LuBeDa Website User Posts: 21
    edited June 2015

I like the laser an the hyperdrive effect and i am looking forward for the tutorials about the "Dimension rift effect".

By the way, did i miss the update #6

Greetings from Germany

Ludger

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,069 Staff

Thanks @LuBeDa - glad you're looking forward to trying out the effects!
    We did have an update #6 but it was very small and so wasn't really worthy of a blog post all its own. 
    Whereas, of course, a hyperdrive is :)

• Robin
    Robin Website User Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    edited June 2015

@KirstieT Hehe, almost suspected you pulled off a Windows 8->10 move, or with the Hyperdrive you just overshot the number you wanted to land at :P

But seriously guys, you add yet another update to this thing mid-lifecycle, adding four new, amazing effects to it? Even if you were trying to win some competition for the most community-friendly company, you're already way beyond any competitor :D

• Drmovies
    Drmovies Website User Posts: 2

Is this update for the plugins or just for Hitfilm pro 3? when will you update the plugings?

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,997 Ambassador

Ditto! What @Robin said. 

Very impressed with number of updates between versions.

(and of course, an awesome community!)

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,069 Staff
    edited June 2015

Hey thanks @Robin - that's a quote for the wall! I'll be sure to let the developers know that you appreciate the updates (and you @Stargazer54)

I wish I'd thought of the hyperdrive in my previous answer - my wit is a little thin on the ground this evening!

• davide445
    davide445 Website User Posts: 306 Just Starting Out

You are incredible.

Navigating available presets I did find the "Sparks from foot" Particle Simulator preset, you really listen what we wrote!

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,956 Ambassador

@SimonKJones, @KristieT, @StormyKnight, @LuBeDa,

Well, now that we know you're planning releases around what I'll be finishing the week before, now we know why there wasn't too much in Update#6--I was on honeymoon and not working in Hitfilm! My bad! I won't go on vacation again for awhile. ;-)

@DrMovies--there actually have been updates to the Plug-In suite. They don't get as much blog love as updates to the core software, but, for example, this update had several bug fixes for Plug-Ins and After Effects. A few effects have been quietly added to the Plug-ins during the updates as well.

• chibi
    chibi Website User Posts: 257 Just Starting Out

Thanks for the new build!

• FingerPeopleMovies
    FingerPeopleMovies Website User Posts: 41
    edited July 2015

FXHOME has always had the uncanny (read: creepy) ability to release exactly the effect I need, as soon as I need it. I was just thinking the other day how nice it would be to have an easier way to remove the black background from stock footage, and voila! It appeared.

• CraigSnedeker
    CraigSnedeker Website User Posts: 70

I may be blind, but what is the Dimension rift effect?

• Robin

@CraigSnedeker it basically allows to recreate the portals from the Portal games, with astounding control over the individual aspects of the effect. They can't label it as such because of copyright reasons though, I guess :D

• Triem23

Like the Lightsab--Lightsword effect... 

• Robin

Exactly. I'm just glad the Animated laser wasn't published by the name of Animated highly destructive beam of concentrated single-wavelength light :D

• LuBeDa
    LuBeDa Website User Posts: 21

@Robin Are there some examples of this "Dimension rift effect" available? I tried to figure out by my self but it is still a secret for me.

• Robin
    edited July 2015

If you're looking for examples of the effect being used, a quick YouTube search will pull up a lot of results. Like this, exceptionally well done, Portal fan film (although it has a slightly different look to the portals):

Or this one: 

Or this one: 

There is no tutorial yet on the effect in HitFilm though, if that's what you mean. To achieve the basic effect from the games, you would probably put the effect on a wall, and animating it in with the expansion slider going from 0 to 1 for the first portal. The comes the second portal with both the expansion and the connection slider going from 0 to 1 simultaneously, while on the first portal the connection slider goes up with them as well. The last thing is putting an image or a camera view into the Wall image property to have a view through the portal.

That's the basic setup, and from there you can go crazy with the look and behaviour of the portals, rigging them to camera views and building complex setups.

• CraigSnedeker
    CraigSnedeker Website User Posts: 70

Okay, awesome. Thanks! 

• GodofThunder
    GodofThunder Website User Posts: 190 Just Starting Out
    edited July 2015

Yup this is a great app and at a great price. I'm upgrading in next two weeks to pro 3, as although I tend to use motion 5 at the moment (I just find it easier to use than hitfilm, due to layout/tool familiarity to illustrator and Photoshop), I do use hitfilm because of the plugins/vfx that come as standard to finish off my work.

I was pricing out various plugins for motion, and I'd only get four for the same price as an upgrade to pro 3, and now that I can use the pro 3 plugins in motion, well I'm sold.