My first HitFilm film hit.

BigDazBigDaz Website User Posts: 36
edited June 2015 in Practical Filmmaking

After weeks of work it's finished, all 51 seconds of it.

I work for a local book publisher and this is a book launch 

Comments

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,837 Ambassador

Hey BigDaz,

That came out pretty nice. :)

You have a really solid match move there.

Your 3D model of the doors needs some texture love though...

Aside from some needed compositing to match it with the live footage, this looks great and the book launching sells the shot, very cool by the way.

• StephansBilderweltStephansBilderwelt Website User Posts: 523

Nice. Maybe a little color grading at the "rocket" book. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,307 Ambassador

What Spydurhank and Stephans said.

Love the concept, however, and, of course any notes we may give are picky-picky because we're artists. If you're on a deadline, don't worry about it--your visuals tell your "story," and, overall, it's a really solid shot. If you need to go live with this version, it's good enough. Nice work, and, if you're doing complex matchmoves and set enhancements your first time out, I can't wait to see your next project. Be proud.

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,058 Staff

Nice - I did not expect the book to appear out of the top of that building! Thought perhaps you were recreating a scene from the book, but it's a nice trailer for the release. Good luck with the launch!

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,731 Ambassador

Very nice.   Solid effort!

Beyond what the others have said, I was a little distracted by the red glow on the corners.  I expected to see actual objects representing red lights blinking on and off.

But your 3D tracking match looks dead on.  Congrats!

• H3rm4n_Studi05_OldH3rm4n_Studi05_Old Website User Posts: 99

Great job! The book rocket needs a bit of color correction.

• BigDazBigDaz Website User Posts: 36

What sort of correction does it need?

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,883 Ambassador

Hi, great effect with the book and the shadowing on the doors opening.  The downside of the video was the timing and scene camera movement. I'm guessing you were going for handheld reporter style which is cool (some solid tracking), but I would have had the camera move round quickly when the ALERT sound kicks in. Think I'm standing here watching the traffic and this strange alarm sounds, what you going to do, whip your head round to the source of the sound. I think this would give it more drama, after all its a pretty strange event occurring.  You should be able to do all this with your footage and simply apply the speed filter, or just chop some footage out.

• BigDazBigDaz Website User Posts: 36

Yeah, it could be done like that. I think I would look at it the other way and say the siren and flashing lights are too obvious, they're just meant to provoke curiosity.

But it's a surreal video . Who's to say the cameraman doesn't see books launched like this every day of the week? 

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,883 Ambassador

True, but maybe it was because the camera was me the viewer and that's not how I would react based on the information I was given on screen. Now put an opening shot of a book shooting across the screen and I now know this this is normal event or at least I am pre-warned. Then your footage might be more appropriate to me the viewer?

Still I do like the idea and the VFX edit.