Adding FX to an old movie

Having recently purchased Hitfilm 3 Pro, I thought I might revisit an old movie I did 7 years ago.  It is a 3 1/2 minute short film in MiniDV format.

I don't want to re-edit the whole thing in Hitfilm, I just want to add a few special effects (explosions, gunfire, missile smoke) to the original .avi file that I have.

Practically speaking, what is the best way to do this?  Should I make a single composite that is 3 1/2 minutes long and add the effects to this?  It is a bit unwieldy having such a long composite, but I can't think of any other way.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,072 Ambassador
    edited June 2015

Throw your footage on the editor timeline as a single clip. Add the Deinterlace filter(this is very important--Hitfilm only exports progressive). Use the Split tool to cut the segments you need to add effects to. Right-click the segments you trimmed and select "convert to composite shot." Move effects with clip (don't want to lose your deinterlace). Add effects to Composite Shot segments. Export your Editor timeline. Post to Movie Wall so we can see your hard work! 

• Capnstoobie
    Capnstoobie Posts: 30 Enthusiast

Thanks so much for this, just what I needed!

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,072 Ambassador
    edited June 2015

You're welcome! Welcome to Hitfilm! You'll have a lot of fun with the software, and we're a pretty good forum for helping each other out. 

Hey, at the top of the main forum page is the sticky thread "Learning Hitfilm." @SimonKJones has a master list on that page that links to (almost) every Hitfilm tutorial from FxHome and (most of) the tutorials from the community. I tag Simon here to note that thread's last list update was in May, so he's missing a few recent tutorials by Axel Wilkinson, Inscape Digital and NxVisual, but, in general, that thread should be your first go-to if you get stuck on a technique. Otherwise staff and users are always glad to help here. But there are tutorials already for gunfire, explosions and missle smoke. Some of them were created in Hitfilm 2 Ultimate, but the procedures are the same in 3. Just a few minor interface changes.