Getting a certain look from your camera/software

LiamMrK2LiamMrK2 Website User Posts: 77

I am using the Black Magic Cinema Pocket Camera with a dumb old CCTV $20 lens, and I was wondering how to achieve certain looks, either through the camera itself or hitfilm.

For example how would I make my footage kind of look like a cheesy infomercial, or like the skits they used to film on Adult Swim.

Everything I film ends up looking dramatic.

I've tried changing the lighting on the subject or scene all together and it still comes out looking like a short film.

Hopefully I explained the situation well enough for someone to help, thanks for reading!

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,307 Ambassador
    edited June 2015

The skits they did for Adult Swim got that retro look by shooting on old Cameras. 

You can try playing around with saturation and TV damage filters or the VHS filter from Red Giant Universe, but a lot of that look has to do with the camera. A 1980's camera is going to have a huge lens and a small sensor, where a BMCC uses a small lens and a large sensor! It's going to be hard to get that "Video" look when your camera is designed, specifically, to NOT give that "Video" look. 

Make sure you're shooting at 60 fps (NTSC) or 50 fps (PAL) to get that smooth video cadence. Overlight and close down your lens aperture to widen depth of field. That will help a bit. 

I will put thought into this, but my first instinct is to try an find an oold camera. 

• LiamMrK2LiamMrK2 Website User Posts: 77
    edited June 2015

I may have not asked the question well, my apologies. I am looking for a "brighter" look, everything I film with my BMPCC is so dramatic, even with the aperture open wide. I am not really looking for a "retro" look, more like... how the lighting/image looks in the ad part of this video (50 seconds in or so)

While my footage always looks so serious, it seems as if I wouldn't be able to properly film something goofy with my camera like a dumb skit, it seems more like it's capturing dramatic moments and scenery.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,307 Ambassador

Oh, well, ok. The BMCC's by default give a very flat, neutral image, so... Looking at the sample video you provided, they have a fairly saturated, warm look. For the indoor scenes, they have a lot of bright colors in the background, the clothes are bright colors, and there's colored lighting. 

So, there's a whole bunch of tools in Hitfilm for color grading. You can try the Hue/Saturation plug in first--boost saturation a bit, maybe push the Hue slider around a bit. The Color Balance effect can be good. You may want to add a little yellow in the highlights, some orange in the mids and some purple in the shadows. 

• LiamMrK2LiamMrK2 Website User Posts: 77

Thanks! I'll try it!

You're welcome. Those are starting suggestions--there's a lot of other color grading plug-ins in Hitfilm that might work (for example, Color Wheels ALSO lets you adjust overall saturation and push your highs to yellow, mids to orange and shadows to purple, using one effect instead of two, but with a more complex interface). The key thing is training your eye to identify what you're trying to create or emulate. So, if you have a flatter, desaturated BMPCC image, what's the look of what you're trying to create? In this current example, of course, it's bringing in more saturation and pushing the colors a little bit to tint different values.

So--what's the skit you wanna shoot?