NeonVisual- Day Of The Doctor-Recreation Part 1 Of 2

NXVisualStudio
NXVisualStudio Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 693 Ambassador

Comments

• NXVisualStudio
    NXVisualStudio Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 693 Ambassador

Well that's the first half out the way ;) 

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,728 Ambassador

Sweet! This was all done in HitFilm?

Did you use an environment map on the TARDIS? It stands out a little prominently. That would be my only critique. Keep up the great work!

• NXVisualStudio

StormyKnight

Quite close, the tardis is made up in bits in 3DS Max. then all of the parts are sent over to hitfilm for assembly, so if need be you can blow the damned thing to bits in a scene. for the windows they are plains that reflect the sequence with the camera reversed to see what's behind and reversed rotations  (Pre Render)  of the scene, 

Yeah everything is done in HitFilm :) 
    Cheers buddy :)!

• NXVisualStudio

Ady

Scene 2 turned out aright, I did in the end manage to use 3D Unrolled in segments rather than do the whole scene in unrolled, also would like to apologise if i came across angry a while back, it was stressful to the point where the scene was all built up and the time it took to make then getting ready for unrolled and had a rave of its own. :) 

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,948 Ambassador

Tony, that's looking fantastic. I do like your take on the nova a bit better than Xander's, the new lighting on the Gallifrey segment is a lot more natural, flipping Tennant does make him flow better with Hurt and Smith, and I really like that take on the logo. You do great work, buddy! 

• NXVisualStudio
    edited June 2015

Triem23

Yup :) when you said about the direction of lighting I did have too look twice and the box had the main source light completely off so I thought, sod it back a few steps, I don't know if you noticed but the gallifrey scene you last saw is fairly different to the tardis trajectory of what it is now, officially saved me there bro ;)

over all it has sparked off really well on the pages and youtube, this will hopefully continue to change the way(closed minded) people look at hitfilm, as iv stated to people in the past and still today the only reason Hitfilm cant do it is because You cant do it, You know my thoughts on that subject.

It's nice to see there are lightwave users here and houdini \m/ 

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,948 Ambassador

@NXVisualStudio Hey, buddy, you know a fresh set of eyes is always good when nearing the end of the project. That's why I share roughs on here or with you--feedback catches things I miss and gets me to improve my shots.

I kinda noticed you'd updated the TARDIS trajectory in the final version, but the rough was on a different device from the final and I didn't look at both versions back-to-back.

I MOSTLY agree with you that Hitfilm can do (mostly) everything AE can do. There are really only about four things (stock) AE has Hitfilm lacks, and only one of those is critical: Expressions, Puppet Warp, Point of Interest tracking, and Bezier Keyframes. Of those three, Puppet Warp can be worked around with multiple layers and point rigs, and Expressions usually just automates something so you don't have to add keyframes... So add the keyframes yourself! Point of Interest tracking, again, merely automates a thing so you don't have to manually animate it. So, just manually animate it! Which leaves Bezier Keyframes as the only major thing Hitfilm is lacking--and I'm sure FxHome will give us those eventually. Probably not in Hitfilm 3 (that's a core code change mid-lifecycle), but I'll bet it's in Hitfilm 4!

Trapcode vs. Hitfilm's particle sim? Only thing missing in Hitfilm is Grid Emitters, Spherical Deflectors/Forces and Shadowlets. Shadowlets are covered by self-shadowing in the 3D world, Spheres can be approximated by overlapping cubes, so the Grid Emitter is pretty much the only significant thing missing in Hitfilm--and Hitfilm's particle sim has more complex deflector interactions than Trapcode and is a lot easier to set up, since you don't have to start rigging things to dummy lights. (And Trapcode costs as much as Hitfilm!)

Element 3D vs. Hitfilm? yeah, ok, Element is much much more powerful at the moment, but, again, Element costs almost as much as Hitfilm, and Hitfilm's only going to improve.

But I digress.

The artist is still more important than the tool.

• NXVisualStudio

Triem23

Flattery haha 

the tardis didn't reach all the way to the end of the mountain top, it dived into the camera just after the last explosion, im pretty sure these Lacks will be a thing of the past to be fair, No. IIII will probably be architecturally different, on the possible mention of normals depending on the way its approached, the u.i. for model importing wouldn't need to change if there was a (lite) node interface but more of an option for those who already know familiarity's on how it works, i.e. Basic view and roll out mode, so basic view is how it appears now and roll out being the grid with the material node already placed in for (base color, metallic, specular, roughness, emissive color, normal, world offset position and ambient occlusion)  depending on how advance it could be for additional properties like tessellation multiplier, clear coat, subsurface color, refraction and so on. 

spherical deflectors for the physics is a must have, global illumination im not sure if this is by default happening in hitfilm, but is something id like to see as well. 

• HarryTippetts
    HarryTippetts Website User Posts: 65

What did you make the orange glowing bit in the beginning out of?

Looks really good, as others have said when the TARDIS is flying over the firey/lavary gallifrey it doesn't look like it's being lit by the scene, much too blue...

I like your time vortex  though; looks faster and more vicious than the ones used on TV.

• NXVisualStudio

Haribo
    Hi there
    unfortunately it was a choice that had to be made with the global illumination
    Triem23 Kindly pointed out that the color mix of oranges/reds was making the police box purple so we opted for blue :)

the orange glow was the fluid organics produced by the atomic particles on one of the models from the celestial model pack, the chain for this effect(3d model>atomic particles>reflect>light streaks>glow)

Have you seen the tutorial i put up on youtube for creating trapcode vortex designs in hitfilm?

And thanks bud :) 

• Dewr
    Dewr Website User Posts: 136 Enthusiast

I'm looking to do another film featuring our own Timelord that I used to do with some friends, and I need to get a 3D TARDIS model created that can stand up to 4K..  It's not a Police Box however, it's a ship of our own design..  I can get some pictures of the actual prop which can be used for modelling, as I've not got into that side of things yet.

• NXVisualStudio

Dewr

I personally would wait for the next version of hitfilm to come out, So you want to create a tardis that is of another form rather than the police box? Depending on what im modelling id use maya or max as a first choice for constructive building or for really detailed scenes with 3d work- lightwave would be my next choice,

the police box in this set is an early bird from when it was being built and this version will be used to test drive the new features coming to 4, thats all i can really say on that behalf, 

but if you need any help just give us a shout fella :) 

• Dewr
    Dewr Website User Posts: 136 Enthusiast

I do!   We decided to be different all those years ago, and I'm thinking about set extensions for a console room

• PhilWesson
    PhilWesson Website User Posts: 241 Enthusiast

You are my hero. I'd love a breakdown of one of the scenes

• NXVisualStudio

PhilWesson

Pick one and il break it down ;) I be your saviour, no thor hammer, no web, no super saiyan just a sonic screwdriver and a yoyo haha

Dewr
    you could design a box using fractal designs like the golden ratio in patten, almost like the pandorica but more complex, you should start placing up some of your ideas!

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,728 Ambassador

"... just a sonic screwdriver and a yoyo haha."

What- no bow tie or Fez?

• NXVisualStudio

StormyKnight

Im being old fashioned with the yoyo, Yeah the fez did play a large role in the day of the doctor , 

the new season looks to be of dark character, did you see the new curly hair doo the Doctor has now? also the new orchestrated compositions look to be deadly.