Daleks VS Federation (Always wanted to do this) Your Opinions and Who Wins?

NXVisualStudio
NXVisualStudio Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 693 Ambassador
edited June 2015 in General

For a while now i have wanted to do an Impactious scene mixing the fandoms for an epic blow out of the fittest 

The thing I want to do is get opinions on the type of flagship class that's suited to front the dalek ships, Pros, Cons of each ship, Most importantly who you think should win and why? 

In this scene I started as an example of the galaxy class NX-01 /// Probably not the best to start of with but you get the idea Also to note these scenes where made in under a few hours so the end result in the actual fight scene would look a damned sight better!

Also;
KirstieTSimonKJones Although i was put on the beta list a while ago Should i wait to do these scenes If this becomes the case? it will be intense given the time id have to work on it :) 

Comments

• HarryTippetts
    HarryTippetts Website User Posts: 65

What federation ships have going for them is faster than light travel.

USS Voyager in particular can sustain warp 9.9, so something like the Picard manoeuvre would be pretty devastating...

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,948 Ambassador

Basically Federation wins any one-on-one ship battle. Trek ships are among the most overpowered in TV/Film sci-fi. While a Death Star can utterly blow up a world (as can a Vorlon Planet Killer) in both cases you have a ship the size of a moon. When the Daleks send a fleet to destroy Earth in "Parting of the Ways," they send 200 saucers and a half-million Daleks. Star Trek: Original Series indicated Enterprise  could wipe out all life on an M-Class planet with photons amd antimatter bombs. Obviously Federation cruisers pack more firepower than a Dalek saucer. Next-Gen ships have the phaser emitters on the neat rim track. Great firing arcs on the phasers.  Feds can keep, more of it's firepower to bear than the Dalek. And Fed shields are probably better than Dalek shields. We determined Feds have more powerful weapons? Well Fed shields can take a few hits from those superior weapons, so the Dalek saucer is outgunned. Photons are going to hurt... (note, a Dalek ship does have a planet destroying missile, according to Classic Who episodes like "Rememberence of the Daleks," but those seem to be single shot and useless in a dogfight.)

Feds can travel at warp, Daleks have hyper drive. I cannot speculate on speed, but I think Fed ships are more agile. Original series/movies, maybe not. Those ships aren't agile--Next-Gen era ships can twist a lot. 

Speaking of Next-Gen ships, this time period gives you the most ship classes to play with. 

What the Daleks have are numbers and ruthlessness. One saucer carries 2000 warrior drones. Dalek guns may be puny against phasers, but a Fed cruiser only has ten-twelve centerline big guns fore and aft (photons) and maybe three "turrets" (top/bottom saucer, primary hull phasers) with a couple nacelle phasers, also centerline. It will still take a couple of seconds to burn a drone, and a good, long, sustained hit to punch into a saucer. In the meantime, the Daleks have all these little gnats picking away at the Fed cruiser while the Dalek saucer has dozens of turrets. And Daleks don't surrender. They will fight to the last drone. Once a Dalek saucer has taken photon blasts, Daleks will be deployed to intercept--i.e. Take the Hit Instead. 

The Daleks just have to swarm. Deploy their drones and fighters, and hammer away. Special Weapons Daleks would be helpful, but there aren't too many of those... 

The Feds have options. Dalek saucer firepower seems to be on the rims, so try and go over/under and hit the broad parts of the plates. Tractors can be used to immobilize drones before shooting them. If one ship van hold, another can swat. If Feds transporters can penetrate Dalek hulls, beam over a photon (or antimatter?) and blow it. The Picard maneuver, as already suggested, is a good one. 

• NXVisualStudio
    NXVisualStudio Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 693 Ambassador

As Always ! couldn't have put it any better, in fact  you have just given me ideas But the ideas vs processing power will be a strain, if it happens then as always you will be the first to know.

plus your ships are almost done.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,948 Ambassador
    edited June 2015

Remind me to tell you how I can rig procedural, particle weapons fire to particle clones. Or, I can just rig one up and send you the project to dissect. 

Side note: Dalek weapons may be more powerful than shown in the current series. Non-TV stories note, for example, that Dalek gunsticks can atomize human targets, but that they deliberately dial back power just to the point where the target dies in pain. 

• NXVisualStudio

We wont be using the normal ships so in fairness the tables could be turned, there will be the mothermothership witch is basically beast to the point that it can destroy a planet (looks like district nine saucer) but more dalek, then a reworked version that you have but more detailed in the smaller parts so its a game of 50/50 if need be ......... minus ridiculous missile looking things from toystory,

Yeah you can send a project file if you like, il be making ultimate use of the light sword effect  that's for sure and make up some flairs in sapphire for photons with a blemd of HF own flairs.  

• NXVisualStudio

Haribo

The Picard manoeuvre it is then ;) 

• Triem23
    edited June 2015

Oh, right, I will send you my photons rig. I built some photons in Hitfilm with point rig, some lightning filters fractal noise and a sphere filter and a flare. Looks like this (which is also an example of using the particle sim to make the asteroids, dust, Klingons and photons.).

Also, page one of this thread I linked a photons rig project file. https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/5382/triem-23-s-templates-tutorials-and-projects/p1