Put a sticker on 3d model

I have imported a 3d model car, i want to put a sticker on it. Any ideas of how to accomplish this? When i simply align it, the sticker moves independently, i also locked them together and still the sticker is not on the window but floating next to it. 

Comments

• Wurminator
    Wurminator Posts: 18

Put the Sticker on the texture of your car model

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,156 Expert

This may be a bit more involved but try this for now...

1. Open your models texture in an image editor like Gimp or Photoshop.

2. Import the sticker and make sure it's above the models texture in the image editor stack. ( you may or may not have to mask/cut/erase anything from the sticker depending  on your situation) 

3. Export the new texture and give it a different name than the original.

You're good to go and can now open the textures in HF.

• ezravan
    ezravan Posts: 10

It seems that there is no overall texture file for the whole car which i see in other models, this has a bunch of textures but they are like leather paternes and reflections for the chrome etc. but no texture that is the window wthat i can see. 

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,156 Expert

Hmm,  Do you have access to a 3D app, Maya, cinema 4D, 3ds Max? Blender is free...

You can take a look at the 3D models UV coordinates in a 3D app and add your own textures from there. 

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,618 Ambassador
    edited June 2015

Depending on how complex the shot is- you could parent the sticker directly to the car. Just make sure the model is in 3D Unrolled. Make sure the sticker is set to 3D plane, then position the sticker where you want it placed on the car and parent it to the car layer.

I did this with an airplane and a logo parented to it. The logo turned with the plane and changed sizes automatically when it got closer or further away.

I think that's the easiest way.

• ezravan
    ezravan Posts: 10
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,618 Ambassador

ezravan - Did any of these suggestions work for you?