HitFilm 3 Pro or Action Essentials 2

H3rm4n_Studi05_OldH3rm4n_Studi05_Old Website User Posts: 99
edited June 2015 in Practical Filmmaking

Which should I get? My company can only get one. Thanks.

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,241 Staff

They aren't really similar products at all, so I guess it depends on what you need to do, and which one would be more useful in getting it done. Can you give us more details?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,245 Ambassador
    edited June 2015

Hitfilm is editing/compositing software. Action Essentials 2 is stock footage. So...

If you don't already have some kind of editing and compositing software then Action Essentials 2 will do nothing at al for you--you won't be able to use it. If you don't already have editing/compositing software, then Hitfilm is what you need.

If you already have edit/composite software then, well... As Axel says, it depends on what you're doing. But there's a lot of other sources for stock footage besides Action Essentials 2. For example, you could get a subscription to VideoBlocks for nearly three years for the cost of the 2K Action Essentials. VideoBlocks has fire and smoke and explosions.... Oh and tons and tons of other clips, royalty free music, and After Effects Templates. There's also Digital Juice, where, for the same cost of Action Essentials 2, you could have a two year subscription to DJ and download, yes, all their fire, smoke and explosions as well as all their other content, including music and hundreds of thousands of sound effects. And, to be blunt, when I'm looking for fire, smoke and explosions, I like my Digital Juice assets and my VideoBlocks assets a lot more than I like the Action Essentials 2 assets. I pretty much ain't using that library. Anything really good in Action Essentials 2 has already been used so many times by so many people, you'll just look like everyone else. The bottom line on Action Essentals 2 is that it's just stock footage, nothing more, nothing less, and you have a lot of other options there. Hey, Detonation Films has good, cheap stock pyro! YouTube can provide you with tons of free stock (ok, the Action Essentials will key cleaner than anything from YouTube, but YouTube is free.).

Now, with good software like Hitfilm, you can create fire, smoke and explosions as well as motion graphics, editing, color grading, etc, etc, etc. Without knowing what you already have and what you're planning on doing it's hard to give the best answer, but I'm leaning towards saying Hitfilm, or, search around other stock media libraries before committing to Action Essentials.

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,055 Staff

What @Triem23 and @AxelWilkinson said. It's like comparing apples and oranges. You didn't happen to mean After Effects instead of Action Essentials did you? 

• H3rm4n_Studi05_OldH3rm4n_Studi05_Old Website User Posts: 99

I have Hitfilm 2 Ultimate and no, I did not mean After Effects.

• NXVisualStudioNXVisualStudio Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 687 Ambassador

So you meant  Action Essential as software?

No, as stock footage.

Since I have Hitfilm 2 Ultimate, should I upgrade to Hitfilm 3 Pro or buy stock footage?

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,241 Staff

As has been mentioned, we will need more information to give you advice there.  What sort of projects do you work on? What new features in HitFilm 3 Pro would be important to you? How would you be using the stock footage, and how often? 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,245 Ambassador

What Axel said.

Also to restate, I would suggest a Digital Juice or Videoblocks subscription over Action Essentials 2 even if I were to recommend stock footage over a software upgrade. Or, check out some of the new packs at the Triune Store (Film Riot). 

Thanks Triem23 for suggesting the Triune Store. I’m going to get the Hollywood Gun SFX bundle.