Interlaced Footage

Hey all, Hope someone can help here !

I still use a sony HDR-FX1e which only produces interlaced footage, I've always had 'issues' when it comes to de-interlacing this footage until Hitfilm 3 arrived, it's de-interlacing tool for my footage is rather spectacular compared to any other method I've used in the past. This unfortunately led to a new problem on the timeline.

My footage is encoded using the Cineform codec, If I try to use Hitfilms tracking tool to track something in the scene on my nice de-interlaced footage I get a rather large problem as in the layer window where trackers are positioned etc, the de-interlace filter is not applied. If there is any significant movement in the scene then my clips are useless for tracking due to the interlaced 'stair' effect common with interlaced footage.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can deal with this issue  ?

Is there a way to 'Bake' the de-interlacing effect on the timeline to my clips as I would really hate having to render each clip one by one and have to loose my current Cineform compression  ?

Any advice will be greatfully received

Thanks

Paul

Comments

• rgbii
    rgbii Posts: 965 Just Starting Out

Well, I've been hoping they'd change the tracker to work on a composite, but since they haven't yet, that doesn't really help you.

The only thing that comes to mind, which you probably have already thought of, is to export the de-interlaced footage, then import that.  To maintain quality, you could either use the exported/imported footage just to get your track only, or export it as a PNG sequence. 

• LuBeDa
    LuBeDa Posts: 21

Hello,

i am using hitfilm only for my hobby, so i dont need perfection. I need acceptable quality. So i use the free batchtool ffmpeg to convert to non interlace. The commandline (for me) is:

ffmpeg.exe -i C:\temp\interlaced.mts -vf yadif -vcodec h264 -acodec libvo_aacenc c:\temp\deinterlaced.MP4

export to PNG is also possible with:

ffmpeg.exe -i C:\temp\interlaced.mts -vf yadif -vcodec h264 -acodec libvo_aacenc c:\temp\deinterlaced_%06d.PNG

I use this tool also to convert my old footage taken in 1440x1080 to transform it into 1920x1080.......

There are a lot of other options, e.g. ProRes encoding.

Greetings from germany

Ludger

• Robin
    Robin Posts: 1,669 Enthusiast
    edited June 2015

You could use the proxy system for that. Make the clips you want to deinterlace into their own composite shots, apply the deinterlace filter in that composite shot, generate proxies for the comps, and then only work with the comps instead of the original clips. That way, you don't have to export/import all the clips.

EDIT: Sorry, answered too quick before understanding what you actually wanted to do. Tracking won't work that way... That leaves you with the export/reimport option again. It's probably best to export the deinterlaced clips as uncompressed avi or png stream, then reencode them with Mpeg Streamclip, Handbrake, ffmped or anything like those to cut down the filesize again.

• monica66
    monica66 Posts: 22

I found a related tutorial to de-interlaced videos. You can have a check.