Glowing stars in static starry night

davide445
davide445 Posts: 306 Just Starting Out

Want to create a glowing stars effect on a static image depicting terrain and a starry night.

Adapting Majahr second tutorial on Starfield I did use a mask to select the sky in a secondary layer with a copy of the image, a noise generator to create fake stars and Flares effect to make them glow.

Being not able to use the Threshold to limit the noise (being the image with colors a lot of details are washed out) the result is ... too noisy.

Does have anyone idea about a better way to obtain this result?

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff

"Being not able to use the Threshold to limit the noise (being the image with colors a lot of details are washed out) the result is ... too noisy." - you lost me here. Why can't you use Threshold? Threshold should just be applied to the layer with the stars, not to your image. I'm thinking you may just need to adjust the way your layers are set up, but I'm not quite clear on the layer setup you are currently using.

Other options are to use the particle simulator to create the stars, or Atomic Particles.

• davide445
    edited June 2015

I didn't find how to attach an image with my project screenshot, the forum system can be better for this trivial job.

Being a real image and not a created black plane such as in Majahr tutorial I did need to isolate the sky using a mask. Doing so I did need a second copy of the same image to show the lower part.

Using threshold produce the effect I can show you being able to attach an image, washing out almost all details

• AxelWilkinson

I would use a black plane, as Majahr did, and apply the mask to the plane, to constrain it to the sky area. Then once the stars are created on the plane, comp it over your existing sky.

• davide445
    edited June 2015

Problem is I did need to maintain also the original sky of the image, so can't use a black plane and substitute it fully.

Here the screenshot of my current setup with the threshold applied

Twinkling star project

Any other way to do this? Using Auto Flares was perfect on the original image, I did need only to animate them. Maybe keyframing the effect on and off?

But: using keyframes on my pc did never see the little diamonds on the timeline, how can I list somewhere my keyframes?

• AxelWilkinson

I'm not saying substitute it fully, use the plane to create the stars, then comp the stars onto the original sky. Simply setting the plane to Screen will remove the black and only leave the white stars showing.

• davide445
    edited June 2015

That way is better, but there is a problem: the noise is so tiny is barely visible in the video, and the Auto Flare didn't generate anything.

Any way to increase noise size and add spot flares?