How can I create a falling, bouncing layer?

Sigep1982Sigep1982 Website User Posts: 6
edited June 2015 in Post-production techniques

I'm making a motion graphic, and I want to have one layer appear as if it's falling down on the background and bounce as it settles (think if you dropped a heavy object on the street). Is this possible in Hitfilm and if so, how might I go about doing it?

Thanks. 

MOD: I've changed the discussion title to better reflect its content, so that others can find it more easily.

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,250 Ambassador

Is your bouncing layer based off particles, or other elements? 

If it's non-particle based, you'll have to manually keyframe things. If it's particle based, you can do the bounce procedurally. 

First, bookmark this thread:  https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/4699/learning-hitfilm-tutorials-from-basics-to-advanced/p1

Now, assuming it's particle based, scroll down to the particle tutorials and look at "Anatomy of a particle sim," "Advanced 3D Particle Behaviors," and "Advanced Particle Physics 1&2." These are Hitfilm Ultimate 2 tutorials, but nothing has changed in Hitfilm Pro 3, other than the interface colors. These will show you how to set up forces and deflectors for bounces. 

If you're NOT using particles, look at, oh, just all of the tutorials in the Animation group on that page. 

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

Even if the layer isn't obviously particle based (eg, if it's a single title), you could still use the particle to sim to drive it. Create the text first, then use it as your particle texture. Set the particle sim to create only 1 particle, set up the physics appropriately and have the title bounce onto a plane.

Particle physics don't take into account the shape of the particle texture, of course, so it won't be a fully accurate physical interaction. So it will depend on what precisely you're after.

Quick 5 minute example:

• jamesjjsjamesjjs Website User Posts: 2
    edited June 2015

Tried doing this -went to the Particle System - Appearance - Texture Source - selected layer option, - went to Source Layer - tried to select the text layer, but it is not listed in the selection box. I could select planes though.

Am I missing something?

cheers

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,250 Ambassador

There's a bit of an odd thing happening with Hitfilm's order of operations--when you point to another layer as a source in Hitfilm, it sees the layer BEFORE any effects and transformations are applied. In the case of text objects it sees the text box BEFORE the test is added to it--convert your text layer to an embedded composite shot and it will work.

• jamesjjsjamesjjs Website User Posts: 2
    edited June 2015

Hi Triem23,

fantastic! Spent 2 days trying to figure this out - and yes, what you described about Hitfilm seeing the layer before any effects applied to it was driving me nuts!

Finally got it to work....

cheers