Particles Positions

fatninjafatninja Website User Posts: 14

Hello!

Could anybody tell me why, in the linked project:
1- The text is always in front of the particles
2- The pink particles are always in front of the blue ones?

Here is a screenshot:
Screenshot

Thanks

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    edited May 2015

Its a combination of things. First, both your particle effects are set to color dodge, which always makes the pink appear to be in front, and the white letters to be in front of that. Switch both the Particle layers to Normal, and you will see that a) they are in front of the text, and b) changing the order of the particle layers does change which one is on top.

Second, all of your layers are 3D planes, and are sitting at exactly 0.0 in Z-depth, so they are all coplanar. HitFilm always renders coplanar layers based on timeline order, from bottom up. Switch the two particle layers to 3D Unrolled, and you'll be good to go.

• fatninjafatninja Website User Posts: 14

Thanks for your answer.
    I did not understand the first point, but I think switching the 2 particles layers to 3D Unrolled did the job!

Regards

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff

The first point was basically that you used the wrong blend mode. Changing to 3D unrolled removes the blend mode, and sorts that issue out as well.

Using Color Dodge, when the color of your particles is blended with the White letters, the resulting color is white. So it looks like the text is in front of the particles even though it isn't. Similarly, when the blue and pink particles are blended using Color Dodge, the resulting color is always pink, regardless of which color is actually in front.