3D model as particles

LupusbaloLupusbalo Website User Posts: 37

In another post, 2 of you guys told me that this is possible.
Today I found a movie from John on the wall (cubes2) which uses this technique.

Unfortunately I found no way have a model as a particule.
(model as a layer, or a composite shot and used as "appearance" of the particule doesn't work for me)
I'm using HF3P
THKS for help

Lupusbalo

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,275 Ambassador

You should look at this: 

and this:

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast

Yup, have a look at the video Triem posted. Short version specific to your question: Place the model on your timeline as normal, and use that layer as the particle source. It will autmatically work just like it should regarding the viewing angle of the individual model particles (I'm not sure right now if you have to set the model layer to 2D or 3D unrolled though - just try what works)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,275 Ambassador

If your particle system is 3D Unrolled, set your model to 3D Unrolled. If your particles are 2D, set your model to 2D. 

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast

Just did a quick test, you actually have to set the model layer to either 2D or 3D plane (doesn't matter which), no matter what the particle system is set to. That's because you simply can't select a 3D unrolled layer as the source layer for anything.

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

You can't use 3D unrolled comps as source layers because they are inherently unflattened. Although they only occupy a single layer on the timeline, with unrolled it's best to think of that merely as a convenient way to group together multiple layers on the timeline. The layers are still rendering individually.

• LupusbaloLupusbalo Website User Posts: 37

thaks a lot, I missed these 2 tutorials