Can someone please do a knife throwing tutorial using HitFilm?

tuckerkras12tuckerkras12 Website User Posts: 64

Hitfilm community,

can someone please do a knife throwing tutorial using hitfilm.  I have a seen a car throw effect tutorial, but maybe some one can do one for a knife.  Sorry, I should clarify, I'm talking about a visual effect knife throw with a 3d model knife, some motion blur, rotation of the knife, stuff like that.  The practical effect using a switch pan technique is cool but looking for something a little more advanced.  Thanks

Comments

• BobDiMarzioBobDiMarzio Website User Posts: 632 Just Starting Out

I know it's not HitFilm related but Film Riot did a episode on this. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador

Inscape Digital did a tutorial on disintegration, but he also covered a knife throw:

• tuckerkras12tuckerkras12 Website User Posts: 64

@Bob, thanks for the comment, I love Film Riot, always have.  Triem, thanks for coming through again for me, appreciate it.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador

Tucker, thanks, man! Now, here's my most important bit of advice. Get a youtube downloader for your PC or Android (I am not Apple, but I assume such things exist for their products). Anytime you watch a tutorial, save it to a folder--heck, I sometimes go to the YouTube channel of someone who did a good tutorial and download a lot of their tuts at once to watch later. 

Two nice things about this--I don't have to search for something online again if I miss a step just my phone, and I leave my software open with the tutorial on a different device and never stop working. I have 200+ on my phone, another 100+ on my tablet. 

• inScapeDigitalinScapeDigital Website User Posts: 715 Just Starting Out

I've gotten much better since that tutorial, I swear!

edited May 2015

@InscapeDigital true, you have, but that tutorial still exposes a beginner to a lot of important concepts. You did a key, a simple virtual set, an animation, a splat and mixed a moving mask with a particle sim and dropped in outside graphics to animate the skeleton! It's a lot to cover, amd, if you did the same type of shot today, youvd use the same basic techniques... You'd just add more layers, better source images and have a better grade. That's practice and experimentation. 

Still hit a lot of the basic stuff a vfx guy needs to know to start, and that's why I still recommend it. And you're just going to get better. 

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

@inScapeDigital It's obvious you have gotten better and that you have a passion for the work but @Triem23 is totally right this tutorial is really good to start with!

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

This tutorial I made a while back might also have some useful related techniques, specifically with regard to tracking a composited weapon into a live action shot:

It's just a 2D image of an arrow in that tute, but the concepts generally translate.

• WurminatorWurminator Website User Posts: 18
    edited May 2015

Made it with Express before I had Hitfilm 3 pro

The knife was animated and modelled in Blender

• __simon____simon__ Website User Posts: 113 Just Starting Out

@Triem23, which you tube downloader do you use?

@_simon_ on my android gear I use Tubemate, which is available from the Amazon appstore. I don't think it's on Google Play anymore. Works great and is stable and regularly updated. 

On my PC it's a Firefox extension, the name of which I can't remember. I am away from my computer, and will be for two weeks, so, if I remember, I will post it later. That  said, I prefer Tubemate anyway, and am actually more likely to download to phone/tablet and transfer to PC than download on PC. 

• rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    edited May 2015

I'm not sure if it's the same one @Triem23 uses, but under firefox, I use 'Easy Youtube Video Downloader Express".  It's free and works pretty good so far, though for 1080 and up, you have to click through an ad.

I also use a standalone program called 'Youtube Downloader HD'. You just cut and paste the URL into it. The web page shows to have a mac version, but I've never used it. 

@Triem23 - wanted to check tubemate out, but there seems to be a lot caution about using it. Is tubemate.net the official site?  Even on Amazon, I see a couple of versions from different providers.

edited May 2015

Tubemate.net is the official site. From there I now use the Android Freeware link for updates. IvI've used Tubemate for four years, and my Lookout antivirus has never reported any issues. As even it's author notes, yes, there are infected versions from other vendors. Tubemate.net download links seem safe. 

Tubemate can also download from Vimeo, Facebook and other sites--you can even directly enter a URL. For example, you can download the Videocopilot tutorials Andrew Kramer hasn't uploaded to YouTube from the Videocopilot site. 

• rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out

Thanks @Triem23 - I did download another program that seems to work pretty well, but I'll probably also give the Android Freeware link from the site a try.